USMLE Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so hi there

last month before the exam is extremly the most important month of your whole life

a lot of exam taker used to take mock exam to be prepare for the big day

now from doing a little search i did manage to gather many simulation test good to be done

the question is in what order you have to take them?and here is some insights

1-according to high yield (e.g. FRED and NBME7 should be the latest cause some questions come from it)
2-according to grading blocks (e.g.FRED first cause it is 3 blocks -kaplan simulated test cause it is seven blocks so you start from 3 to 4 and finish by 7)
3-according to the prediction (e.g. NBME7 and UWSA1,2 should be the latest cause they pedict your score and whether you have to postpond your exam or not)

ok lets start

1-FRED V2 from usmle site so simiar to the exam
2-Pretest Clinical Vignettes http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Vignettes-USMLE-Step-Self-Assessment/dp/00714229198 Blocks
3-Kaplan Simulated Test 7 Blocks so similar to the exam situation
4-NBME 7 predict your score+some usmle questions come from it
5-NBME 1-6 i dont know
6-FA Q&A 7 Blocks so similar to the exam situation
7-UWSA1,2 predict your score

i think it is better that month from the exam that we should prepare our self to the situation

to start by 3 blocks then increse it to 4 block then to 5 block then six and finally 7 and the last one is to be 5 days from the exam from the same start time with the same break you would like even with the same clothes(trigger memory in the big day in the center)

·
Registered
281 Posts
hmmm alright, il post my process up to the exam... I did my exam on dec 17th, sooo next week il expect the results and il post the final here.

I completed my kaplan course approx 5.5 weeks before the exam

Day after kaplan (5.5 weeks away from exam) Took the Prometric practice exam (Fred V2 exam i think).. 70/70/92 = 77% correct answers

5 weeks from exam: Kaplan Comprehensive exam: 63% correct

4 weeks from exam: nbme 1 = 480 (218)

3 weeks from exam: nbme 2 = 470 (216)

2 weeks from exam: nbme 3 = 430 (207)... i scrwed up on questions i woulf of otherwise gotten right..

completed studying everything 8 days before exam through the first aid book while doing these assessements

7 days before exam: USMLErx 336 q exam = 73 % correct (240)

4 days before exam: USMLE world assessement 1 = 520 (224)

2 days before exam: Epic Fail... do your self a favor and dont get 2 over confident and never look back at your block after each block you do.. it makes you stupid and i think you would do better if you just do all 4 blocks in a row that way your always in a tension mode which lets you think constantly... 430 (204).... lesson i learned, never ever get overconfident during the exam, and never get 2 stress.. stay in between soo you can see max performance.

day of exam... i came out thinking i failed cause the anatomy questions were a little evil i shall admit.. but now i think it was a fair exam in hindsight, i know that i got alot of questions i thought i got wrong were infact right... but i also made some very bad mistakes in otherwise easy questions... so lets hope i get a good mark and pass next week when i get my results.... was wondering though, whats a good mark in kaplan comphrehensive...

will post my grades this coming wednesday!! thats if i get em

1 - 2 of 2 Posts