USMLE Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I m expecting step1 result on Sep 2,anyone sailing in same boat?
would like to share real deal experience?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Took mine recently. Overall my opiniom about the exam is that the questions are very vague compared to nbme or uworld. Basically every concept that has been tested in commercial review books/ qbanks, the exam setters at nbme will try to ask you a concept that hasnt been tested that way in any commercial review. The concept will be the same but they will present the question in a totally different way. Another thing, the questions are way too long compared to nbme atleast, some were even longer than uworld. Every question is presented in a clinical way. Many questions have extra stuff that you dont even have to know to answer the questions, basically they take up your time. Personally i never had any problem in time management in uworld or nbme but in the exam i used to finish the block only 2-3 mins before max. Marked alot of questions, had to guess alot. Do atleast 2 qbanks, that way you will be able to handle the same concept presented in 2 different ways.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took mine recently. Overall my opiniom about the exam is that the questions are very vague compared to nbme or uworld. Basically every concept that has been tested in commercial review books/ qbanks, the exam setters at nbme will try to ask you a concept that hasnt been tested that way in any commercial review. The concept will be the same but they will present the question in a totally different way. Another thing, the questions are way too long compared to nbme atleast, some were even longer than uworld. Every question is presented in a clinical way. Many questions have extra stuff that you dont even have to know to answer the questions, basically they take up your time. Personally i never had any problem in time management in uworld or nbme but in the exam i used to finish the block only 2-3 mins before max. Marked alot of questions, had to guess alot. Do atleast 2 qbanks, that way you will be able to handle the same concept presented in 2 different ways.
Great,preparing for and taking such high standard xams s also an achievement!
Did u take any nbme...and what about score?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nbme 7 188 february
Nbme 13 211 July 7
150 free q 72% july 31
Nbme 17 220 August 6

I felt the exam pretty similar to nbme 17 and the free 150 q, but it's a little bit of bias because I did those exams really close to my real exam. I think that almost everything was on FA

I'm so nervous, I just want a score above 220, but my fear is get an score below 200 :(

I got lazy mistakes, primary of memory (confuse bacterial infections, muscles of the hand, etc) :( so remember that is punishe my self .

Anyway, good luck to everyone:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hassan8,
Thanks for sharing the exam experience. Which question banks did you use? Any other than UWorld?
Good luck with your score!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
My prep as follow.
Kaplan LN+FA
Kaplan Q bank(offline)
Uworld (offline)
Uworld online.Random/tutormode.
All online nbmes
Nbme 13---245
Nbme 15 --250
Nbme 16 --258
UWSA 1 264
UWS 2 265
i found 2 blocks which contained more challenging Qs..rest of exam was good,
as compare to CK good thing about step 1 is one can enjoy luxury of time..time was a big problem for me in CK.
let c how the real deal goes...No prediction on Usmle!
any Qs/concern..wd be glad to ans...Good luck to all!

·
Registered
207 Posts
My prep as follow.
Kaplan LN+FA
Kaplan Q bank(offline)
Uworld (offline)
Uworld online.Random/tutormode.
All online nbmes
Nbme 13---245
Nbme 15 --250
Nbme 16 --258
UWSA 1 264
UWS 2 265
let c how the real deal goes..hope ll be fine!
Goodluck! How many days before exam did you take nbme 13 and 15?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Goodluck! How many days before exam did you take nbme 13 and 15?
nbme 13 taken 6 weeks befor..then i revised Physio,pharma,Anatomy,frm Kaplan and Biochem/genetics and micro frm FA..and did patho from Uworld offline...took 15 ,4 weeks before and then subscribed for online Uworld..did 16,1 week before exam..

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi , guys , i took my test 2 days ago , i felt it was more challenging than all other NBMEs and UWSA , vague Q.! and many other ORHTO in anatomy flavor questions , i did many silly mistakes , two blocks was so hard comparing to other blocks . wish you all a good luck

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice scores kmc.
My nbmes/uwsa scores were:
Nbme 11: 241
Nbme 12: 249
Nbme 13: 256
Nbme 15: 247
Nbme 16: 258 (took this one day before exam)
Nbme 17: 249
UWSA1: 260

Although it overpredicts your score but I found UWSA very close to the real thing rather than nbmes. Should've taken the second one too but didn't have time.
Like many people are saying, there were
2 blocks in the exam that were chaos. Unfortunately for me they were the first two! It totally kicked me off balance. Marked alot on those 2. Wasnt sure about the choices i picked, just went with my first hunch. Rest of the blocks were quite doable. Did'nt get a good feeling comming out of the exam centre.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hassan8,
Thanks for sharing the exam experience. Which question banks did you use? Any other than UWorld?
Good luck with your score!
Thanks. I only used uworld, first offline subject-wise then did another read of KLN and did the online uworld again random/timed/mixed. But i feel like i should've done atleast one more qbank. Maybe kaplan qbank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice scores kmc.
My nbmes/uwsa scores were:
Nbme 11: 241
Nbme 12: 249
Nbme 13: 256
Nbme 15: 247
Nbme 16: 258 (took this one day before exam)
Nbme 17: 249
UWSA1: 260

Although it overpredicts your score but I found UWSA very close to the real thing rather than nbmes. Should've taken the second one too but didn't have time.
Like many people are saying, there were
2 blocks in the exam that were chaos. Unfortunately for me they were the first two! It totally kicked me off balance. Marked alot on those 2. Wasnt sure about the choices i picked, just went with my first hunch. Rest of the blocks were quite doable. Did'nt get a good feeling comming out of the exam centre.
Good scores on nbmes...ll rock! good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Exam was hard

I am expecting my result on 2nd of Sep. I have no idea how i performed on my exam. Exam was difficult than most of the NBMEs and Uworld. Options were pretty vague but not the question stem. I got one block which was very difficult. I heard that people who gave their exam recently are scoring 10 points less than their last NBME. Is that true? :scared:
For me B.S was most challenging on exam, followed by Anatomy.
Pharmacology was least challenging.
Pathology was okay, not too easy not too difficult.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The link of my exam permit disappeared...so its almost sure now..what about u guys..last time when i was waiting for my CK score report in Dec, i was lying on hospital bed,recovering from my appendectomy,wasn't too excited,was thanking Allah more for saving my life than for my report!! so take it easy and accept,whatever result u get...Pray,and wish everyone to achieve more than the set target!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts