USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am in a very tricky situation. I did step one with average score, I did 5 months of electives and I'm done with C.S. I am currently working on CK.
My graduation date is May 2015.

I have been accepted into one more elective in a very very very prestigious institute during April 2015. Should I accept this rotation or should I focus on studying for the CK as I have only 5 months left to get it done before the next match.

Many people told me to take my time as I'm still a fresh grad, I don't have to apply for the next match and I can do research for a year then apply for 2017 match, others told I shouldn't accept this electives as it will waste precious time to focus on the C.K exam to be able to catch next match (2016 match).

What should I do ? I have only few hours to decide.

Thank you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi all,

I am in a very tricky situation. I did step one with average score, I did 5 months of electives and I'm done with C.S. I am currently working on CK.
My graduation date is May 2015.

I have been accepted into one more elective in a very very very prestigious institute during April 2015. Should I accept this rotation or should I focus on studying for the CK as I have only 5 months left to get it done before the next match.

Many people told me to take my time as I'm still a fresh grad, I don't have to apply for the next match and I can do research for a year then apply for 2017 match, others told I shouldn't accept this electives as it will waste precious time to focus on the C.K exam to be able to catch next match (2016 match).

What should I do ? I have only few hours to decide.

Thank you.
average score on step 1 = 220s I'm guessing
accepting the rotation or not is less important than scoring high on ur CK
Low score on ck and you are risking putting yourself in a risky position. but of course if u can pull a decent score CK with the rotation its all worth the risk.
good luck i hope that helps you decide

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would say if you are aiming high, apply next year. Prepare well for CK, get good marks to show you have improved from step 1 and def. get the great intership opportunity. You will still be a fresh graduate for 2017 Match. If you hurry up this year, and you dont' get good marks and you apply without US intership, you might not get slot. Getting US intership is one time opportunity that you cannot get later after graduation. Getting externship is very hard as its not even legal to touch patients without license or being resident/student. It matters a lot to PDs over some observerships.
Again thats my opinion.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's not about the institute nor the "prestigious" name, it's about what YOU accomplish in this given experience.

CK is imp for matching, but holding the steps only doesn't make you any unique from the average student who's applying along with you.
in the other hand doing rotation or research and getting STRONG LOR or writing a manuscript and getting published, or presenting in a national conference would for sure make u stand out.

PLUS CK doesn't need 5 months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts