USMLE Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I graduated as a US born citizen IMG in 2013. I was 24 y/o at the time.

Here's what happened, I took an internship program for 6 months where I graduated, then came back to the US. As I got back here, there were tons of "how to?" questions I've asked and took me the longest to finally get my ECFMG account readied for USMLE STEP 1.

Step 1: March 2015: Failed
Step 1: September 2015: Failed
Step 2 CK: Feb 2016: Failed

I failed all 3 just by a couple of points which hurt the most. I know I should have aimed higher than just passing, but I literally gave them my all...

Resources: First Aid 2013, UWorld QBank, Kaplan QBank, Kaplan Notes and Videos, Master The Boards Step 2

So I'm having a crisis whether to pursue my dream. Its been almost 3 years since I've graduated and now I'm 27 y/o turning 28.
My question: If I pass my Steps from now on, will I even have a chance at getting into any residency at all?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi its very sad to hear about your situation.no one ever predict about one's future in usmle journey.yes it will be difficult for you but its worth trying to make your dreams come true.do externships and make contacts while you read for steps.I have a friend who had multiple attempts in each step but matched.now she is doing her fellowship in hematology/oncology.so try your best to get good scores next time.wish you good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi its very sad to hear about your situation.no one ever predict about one's future in usmle journey.yes it will be difficult for you but its worth trying to make your dreams come true.do externships and make contacts while you read for steps.I have a friend who had multiple attempts in each step but matched.now she is doing her fellowship in hematology/oncology.so try your best to get good scores next time.wish you good luck.
Thank you so much for giving me hope. I plan to go to Kaplan Test Review Prep this coming August. Its so expensive but everyone is recommending me to do it. Hopefully after I do the steps I can do some observerships.

Your reply has really given me hope. *hugs*

1 - 3 of 3 Posts