USMLE Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey every1,
i just got my step 1 score today and failed it by 4 points.
i'm very sad and depressed and i don't know from where to start again.
can some1 please give me advice on how to pick up the pieces again.
i would highly appreciate the help.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that and do empathize with you. You are definitely not alone in this, many before you have failed and gone on to repeat it and get great scores. It's okay to feel sad and depressed, those are totally valid reactions to news like this. Give yourself a little time to get pass this, then regroup and come up with a new plan of attack for this exam. Once you are ready and really go for it, just have faith and be confident in yourself that the next time you will achieve greatness :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am so sorry to hear that and do empathize with you. You are definitely not alone in this, many before you have failed and gone on to repeat it and get great scores. It's okay to feel sad and depressed, those are totally valid reactions to news like this. Give yourself a little time to get pass this, then regroup and come up with a new plan of attack for this exam. Once you are ready and really go for it, just have faith and be confident in yourself that the next time you will achieve greatness :)
thanks so much for ur reply. means alot.
yea, definatily i need to give it time n then get into it. its just so hard to stay calm n relaxed.
i'm keep on thinking of the fact that what happens if it happens again. n i dun know how to get back up.
at this point its like giving up.
i just hope i find the strength to get past this.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You are very close to success. Please rest for a few days, and review your weak area and set a date for a second test. You will pass next time, i see the light already. Good luck, PM me if you wish to talk

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm sorry about that, now is time to take a big breath and start again.
First I will like to know which was your plan. Did you did Kaplan Qbank o UW?????? Wich was your average score?????? Did you read FA?????? Did you study kaplan notes??????
Post your study experience to try to help you come up with a new plan.
Don't worry, you will do great next time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ usluipek - thanks so much for ur reply. i will message u soon. i do need to talk. right now i'm just lost n scared. have billions of negative thoughts in my head n so many decisions to make. but i will surly message u once i get myself together.

@ evavar - my plan was this... i started in march. 2010 n gave my exam in dec. 2010. it was on n off for 2 months coz of serious conditions at home. i did do kaplan notes n videos n then did some kaplan quest. from kaplan qbook. it was practice coz i was still learning. side by side i was doing FA. then i bought UW n my first average was, i believe 46%. this crushed me. so i did my readings again. then i bought kaplan bank online n scored 57%. i did UW again and my avergae was 68%. i did nbme 6 n 7. i didnt pass 7 but i passed 6. n then i just gave the exam.
i guess i was realli tired of studying alone n for so long. i was frustrated n family pressure was there.
i dun know. everything is just shattered. feel like my time n $$$ just went to waste. regret the fact that i didnt take a review course.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Im going to be honest with ya... I would much rather fail by a few points then to have an 188... Thats a death sentence.

Now it may seem horrible at the thought of failing, but there is a bright side to this.. You now know exactly what the USMLE is all about and you can now excell and beat this usmle monster that it is.

Now i do admit that a review course would probably have helped, but the past is the past now. What i would suggest now is to go over all the material once again when you feel ready to give it your all... Put a special emphasis on the materials that you did weak on... your score report you recieved is your best tool to see where you were weak in.. make sure you store the pdf they gave you on your computer to make references to it as much as you can.

I find one of the easiest subjects everyone should/can know is pharm.. the usmle questions are tricky in the field.. but if you get a good understanding of pharm, you can get high 80's-90's percent of q's right on the exam.. that can be the difference of 188 to 220 because there is approx 30-35 pharm questions per exam.

Sooo, basically study everything once again with special emphasis on your weak subjects (thats what boosts your grade the most).. and then take a review course like kaplan/falcon/pass when you feel that you have gone everything you could and would like a quick review of the material sayyy 3 months before your exam... the last month and a half should be spent on refineing your material and doing lots of assessements.. try doing usmle rx and nbme/uwsa to see where your at.

Just keep studying hard dude! you can turn your 184 into a 230 in no time! Theres a saying that some doctors say when it comes to students... They want good doctors, not good test takers... Let this serve as a time to better yourself. You can do it dude! If you have any questions, just ask em on this forum post and will all answer for ya :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello friends
I got my step 1 scores last week and failed ,I had already taken a slot for step 2 cs but now I am all shocked and depressd..dont know how to go about the steps now..should i continue preparing for step 2 cs or give step 1 again..not evn sure if ill get a visa now???please post ur suggestions :toosad:

·
Registered
752 Posts
You are lucky!

I think failing is much better than barely passing, as passing with a low score can prove to be a permanent hindrance to matching, but now you have another chance. Just calm down, analyze why you failed, and then work on those defects. Good luck.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys for ur replies. its helping me alot.

yea, i'm thinking of reviewing once again on my own n then going for the review course. i'll start off with what i did week in n then move my way up.

man, just thinking abt it all over again. i mean, i put in almost a yr n now once again its gonna take that much time. its just making me worried n freaking me out. n i think my energy just goes down the drain just thinking abt it. i have no clue how i'm gonna get myself together n get back on this. its so tough.

n 1 more thing... does any1 know which 1 is better to take... falcon or kaplan? i'm confused on that. its just that i m gonna take it but then i need to know in advance so that i can look at the dates n book a spot too. they fill up pretty quickly.
any1 have any feedback on the courses?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
to be honest I would not recommend review program. these programs go over HY stuff they dont teach much concepts and they go very fast so if I would you I would do my own. it seems your concepts are not strong and you need to actively memorize. IMHO, physio and Pharm is the key in passing or getting good great in this exam. In addition biochem and Neuro, and Immuno understood conceptually is a key too. The rest can be done with some luck. if you want to ace it and become good doctor when you are studying dont swallow things unless it makes sense to you conceptually. medicine is a science and science follows logical thinking. As doc Goljan said "think why, mechanism" when you are reading. gl

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@ warriodoc - yea, thats right. i do need to make my concepts stronger. right now my confidence level is very low.
i like what jjthemd said... go over all books/videos for the next 3 months n then take a review course like falcon. n then after a month or 2 give the exam.
during the 3 months i will review every single thing n do questions side by side after i complete any topic i cover. i wont start another topic until things r clear to me.
the course is just to give me the confidence i lost n to pick up points.

while studying the first time for the exam i was dreading every single day y i didnt take any course. its just that now if i m getting the chance i dun want to loose it. i'm near passing n i'm sure with the course i can score a decent grade. i know it wont go to a waste.

what do u think?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just make sure to study in an "active learning kind of way" Use flash cards or annotate your notes... I also found talking aloud while studying was helpfull 2.

In terms of a course.. Make sure to take a course when you have gone over everything first... dont do a course as soon as you can for now, cause the courses are meant to to help you get prepared for the exam now! Most courses suggest 2 write the exam within a few weeks after the course.

I also had 2 choose falcon vs kaplan.. But for me, since i stuck and read the kaplan books multiple times, i felt it would be best to stick with a source i found comfortable with. So i choose kaplan medical, and i got really lucky to have gotten 4-5 of the best teachers kaplan can give.. specially in Toronto.

I got Barone, Davis, Kudrath, Seiden.. cant remember the name of the fifth but he was a great biochem teacher... I would suggest when you are signing up for a course, try to get kaplan or whomever to tell you the teacher list that is going to be at your Kaplan Center your choosing to go 2.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey every1,
sorry to bother u guys.
can u plz tell me how to relax n calm down.
i'm just thinking alot abt how i'm gonna cover everything again. n its scaring me alot.
i seriously just feel like giving up.
any1 have any suggestions how i can overcome this fear n get back to it with a strong mind.
i'm just way too lost now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
to relax, only u knows what works best for u.
but i'll suggest that u take some time off, watch movies(comedy if u like them), hang out with friends(non doctors),
then come back when u're feeling better. U will need to work really on this, because, the feeling will always be there, but u can overcome it and excel.
all the best.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I know the feeling, failed multiple times and last time I failed by a couple of points. I just retook it yesterday and I know I passed and did well. If you want advice as to what worked for me this time around.

1) Study buddy- for me it was my husband, it really helped me, its a lot of info and it helps when there is someone else also going through it. We'd turn random facts into jokes and repeat them all the time. Turns out even 1 of the jokes we brought up a night b4 my exam, showed up on my actual exam

2) Keep to yourself. Everyone doesnt have to know you are taking the exam, even family members that dont quite support you. It helps ease off pressure.

3) Never take the exam if you fail an NBME. I did the last time and it was a bad mistake. My real score was 12 points higher but still a few points shy of passing. Then again never go into step 1 just aiming for a pass, I made that mistake because of pressure.
What were your exact scores on the NBMEs and the one that you passed, what was the score?

4) Its ok to postpone, if you dont feel prepared. I was going through a lot with my last exam, was getting married, a lot of pressure, but yet I didnt postpone my eligibility. I really should have.

5) Take a few days off and relax. Not sure of your faith but for me, my faith really helped, so that this time around when I took it, I walked in confident, walked out confident as well.
Relaxing can also mean staying away from the forums and also from all things medicine related. Maybe you can spend some days volunteering and helping others in need. Then you'll see that in many ways, you are still blessed and more privileged than many others in the world.

6) Review progs take time. I did one last time, but we spent all day in class and I was tired at the end of the day. They dont always work, but like someone suggested, its best to take a course after studying and then scheduling exam right after the course.

7) When you did UW, did you do it all. My previous attempts, I never finished UW or got past half of the questions and even then, I dont think I read the whole explanations in depth. This time around I did it all, and then redid incorrect questions in my weakest subjects.

8) Someone mentioned how easy it is to get points thru pharm and I agree!!! This time around, pharm was one of my best and easiest section. FA and UW was enough for the exam. I also had USMLERX pharm flashcards which I used on my iTouch and iPad.

I know the feeling but if I told you my own story, trust me you'll feel better with only 1 failure. At the end of the day its not about starting but finishing the race. One only succeeds in life when they are never afraid of failure. By dealing with failure now, you build strength that can propel you to greater heights in the future. When you get through this, you always end up on higher grounds.
Best wishes and God bless!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for ur replies.
good luck lena for ur results. i'm sure u did great.
as for me, i read through ur post... trying to get myself together.
i dun know.. i cant seem to relax n do stuff.
i just wanna get to it.
today i started on making my schedule and i have no clue how i'm gonna complete everything in 3 months. after this it seems like i dun know a thing in medicine. n now i wanna start from the beginning but theres just too much. i wanna b ready by may to take a course.
i dun know what to cover n what not to cover.
everything is just overwhelming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Better to fail then just pass

Yes I agree with the fact that it is better to fail the test then pass with an exact score. Take your time to think of a new strategy to ace the step 1.
I'm studying for step 1. Recently i get very motivated. My UW median score is 48 and i know I'm not there yet. So it is a long process but with motivation any of us can make it and will make it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts