USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dears at usmleforums,
I am a fresh international medical graduate intending to apply for usmle and would like to know the difference between CVS and EICS certification? Can I primary source verify my credentials through EICS instead of CVS and then apply it to ecfmg and would that exempt me from filling form186? As ECIS looks to do the job faster as they offer the possibility of courier service!

Thanks a lot for your concern
regards

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Here's the answer

The Federation Credentials Verification Service also know as FCVS is provided by the FSMB for physicians intended to practice medicine in USA.

EICS is the ECFMG Interernation Credentials Services assists international medical registration authorities in obtaining primary-source verification of medical education and registration credentials of physicians applying for licensure whose medical education was completed outside their jurisdictions.

The sequence of events is as follows;
You pass USMLE Steps --> you get ECFMG certified --> you start residency --> you do Step 3 USMLE ---> you contact FCVS ---> you then can practice independently in USA.

The EICS is not for you. It's for medical registration authorities that want to double check on you by using the ECFMG services.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Question was not clear

Thanks alot lee, but that was not what I really meant "I wasn't clear enough, sorry",
As am preparing to register and take the USMLE, I read in the ECFMG booklet about primary verification and that if i have it then no need for my medical school to reverify my credentials and when I googled primary verification I was taken into ECFMG/EICS (International credential services)... so my question was about the difference between the verification of my credentials through EICS and the verification through ECFMG by them sending my form 186 to my college (certification of identification form), as the second one may take months while with EICS I can opt for express courier and pay for it
so if I verify my credentials with EICS and then apply it to ECFMG will that save me time?
thanks alot for you concern and sorry if I talked too much

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Thanks alot lee, but ...... sorry if I talked too much
You cannot verify your credentials via EICS. The EICS is useful when you apply for a license in other countries. Australia is one of the countries that use this service.
So for example if you want to work in Australia, then the Australian authorities will ask the ECFMG to verify your credentials. If you happen to be "primary-source" verified by the ECFMG initially then that process will go smoothly.
By all means, you have to send form 186 and the ECFMG has to communicate with your medical school in order for your primary source to be verified.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts