USMLE Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I received my step 1 score of 197 few days back, I am totally shattered. I am confused if I should quit USMLE and pursue some other line. I am a IMG

Can u please advise if pursuing is a good option, if so to get a residency what needs to be done, a friend of mine told MPH is a good option and read step 2 along with it, it's a 2 year course which is a lot of time.What other options do I have ?

Do u think from your experience with several ppl should I continue or quit.

If you think pursuing usmle is a lot of risk after such a score, please tell me bluntly, don't want to waste my years of life towards unchartered destination.

Please advise me guys, hoping to hear from you. I am totally down since receiving score.

Thankyou

·
Registered
80 Posts
Look, some people will probably give you honest advice and obviously tell you that your score is way below average and your chances of residency are poor especially if you need a visa.

My opinion (I have not taken the exam yet) is that you already passed USMLE Step 1 and that alone is a huge accomplishment, even if you did below average. The exam is extremely difficult, please don't give up! How is your clinical knowledge? If you can do extremely well on Step 2 and pass Step 2 CS on first attempt then you have a chance in primary care if you get some experience. However, some people with average/good scores sometimes fail to match because of their visa status. You will hear different opinions from different people, pick your head up and see if you can continue. Don't give up yet, unless you don't have any more time or money to waste.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree as well. Passing Step 1 is in itself a huge accomplishment but I will be blunt. It will be difficult especially if you have a particular speciality that you like. That being said, I want to tell you that it is not impossible to match despite a low score. You have to work even harder for the coming exams and get really good scores in them. Try to get hold of good electives/observerships depending on which stage of med school you are. Be proactive in your rotations and make good contacts as you go. Try to get a research spot or MPH in public health/research is also a good idea. Get a few papers published/present in conferences. Just don't give up. Evaluate where you went wrong and work towards your goal.

Good luck and Godspeed!

·
Registered
15 Posts
its not the end of the world

u cleared the beast .. but u still have room to improve and show who u r ..in ck ,cs ,step 3 and at the last u r gonna be a great doctor !!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts