USMLE Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After waiting for 2 months, finally got my score back today..212/89...
well, it's a lower score than I had wished for or predicted by the NBMEs (the NBMEs had me in the 220s), but at this point, I'm just relieved that step 1 is finally out of the way and I can finally move on to step 2!

Just a quick rundown of my step 1 prep:
I used mainly FA + UW + Kaplan lecture series for my prep. I went thru UW once with a cumulative % of 61. I also took NBME forms 1,5-7 and had scored consistently in the 220s.
The majority of the questions on the actual exam were very doable and are similar in difficulty to the NBME questions. But my exam was very heavy on genetics/molecular biology (I'm not talking about the genetics section you see in FA) and the questions were just random (or it could just be that I didn't put enough time into studying those subjects)! I felt totally unprepared and had to guess on a lot of them. So my advice would be to use an alternative source when studying for genetics.

Anyway, I hope someone will find this post useful. Not everyone scores a 99 and I hope that maybe someone can learn from my experience and avoid making the mistakes that I made. I'll write up a more detailed post later when I have the time. Right now I'm just happy that I have my score back and I passed. Time to move on to CK!!

Cheers

·
Registered
752 Posts
Wow .. 2 months of waiting! Anyway, congratulations on your result. NBMEs, I guess, were still pretty accurate. Just +10 or -10 points is accurate I think. Now just cheer up and celebrate! :happy:

Btw, I know you want to forget all about the exam, but what kind of genetics/molecular biology questions were there? Do you remember some example? Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
congrats!

After waiting for 2 months, .......Right now I'm just happy that I have my score back and I passed. Time to move on to CK!!

Cheers
congrats! and thanks for sharing your score. Overall, would u say the exam was of equal difficulty to kaplan/uworld?

·
Registered
365 Posts
This seems to be a theme. Everyone I've talked to this year has scored in the 80s. Did USMLE finally achieve what they wanted to achieve?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I would say that if you know UW well then you should be in good shape for step 1. Overall the level of difficulty was somewhere between NBME and UW (leaning a little towards the NBMEs though). The NBMEs would have predicted my score precisely had I not made those stupid mistakes (yeah it's that many..)

Just a reminder to all those taking the step 1 soon, PLEASE PLEASE do the NBMEs, esp. forms 5-7 as well as the free 150 Qs from the official site. I had AT LEAST 5,6 questions that are 'carbon copies' from those in the NBMEs and free 150s. EXACT WORDING! So make sure you do them!! Don't miss those 'freebies'!!

As for what sort of genetics questions I had in my exam, I honestly don't remember. I tried to forget about them the minute I walked out of the exam room and I succeeded! Forget and forget, now that's repression right there. lol

Jerry

·
Registered
752 Posts
Jerry,

If you had to choose only 1 NBME, which one would it be? Because I plan on taking only 1 and then do the 150 Q just before my exam. (I already did 2 UWSAs).

·
Registered
42 Posts
This seems to be a theme. Everyone I've talked to this year has scored in the 80s. Did USMLE finally achieve what they wanted to achieve?
Not true. All my friends have scored in the 99's (three of them) and one scored an 81 but his studying schedule was hampered with running chores around the house. They're not on the forum though.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Not true. All my friends have scored in the 99's (three of them) and one scored an 81 but his studying schedule was hampered with running chores around the house. They're not on the forum though.
Just curious, but are your friends american med students or from India?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jerry,

If you had to choose only 1 NBME, which one would it be? Because I plan on taking only 1 and then do the 150 Q just before my exam. (I already did 2 UWSAs).
I'd say it's a toss-up between 6 and 7. I think either one is fine but 7 is the more recent one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts