USMLE Forums banner

You think First Aid is needed for USMLE Step 2 CK Preparation?

• Yes, Absolutely

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Yes, Somewhat useful

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • No, It's not needed

Votes: 27 47.4%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes they are enough, although I have to say that the gynecology content is not that great, but over all yes they are enough
So unlike Step 1, First Aid is not a must for step 2 CK

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
hey hello doc!is q-bank good for ck or u-world or both???:eek:
Am afraid I can't understand your question.
Qbank is a term that refers to question banks usually online question banks. Both Kaplan Medical and USMLEWorld call their online question database as qbanks.
However, USMLERx for example calls it Qmax.

·
Registered
10 Posts
okay doc. lets talk it your way doc, i have few friends using printed form of questions both from kaplan n usmle-world,however if we talk about the online questions then you suggest that both kaplan and usmle-world questions should be done or just one of em.hope am able to convey it to you???:),
Am afraid I can't understand your question.
Qbank is a term that refers to question banks usually online question banks. Both Kaplan Medical and USMLEWorld call their online question database as qbanks.
However, USMLERx for example calls it Qmax.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
okay doc. lets talk it your way doc, i have few friends using printed form of questions both from kaplan n usmle-world,however if we talk about the online questions then you suggest that both kaplan and usmle-world questions should be done or just one of em.hope am able to convey it to you???:),
My personal opinion is that you should do both of them (Pirated print editions have several disadvantages like not being up to date and difficult to monitor your performance score ...etc).

But better than my personal opinion is these threads;
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-2-ck-recommended-threads/66-usmle-world-enough.html
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-s...3-what-best-usmle-step-2-ck-online-qbank.html

You may start a new thread (with a poll) asking our members what do both or only one of them ;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
First Aid for Step 2CK

Still, how important is first aid for step 2 ck? I mean its really really helpful in step 1, is it as good for step 2? Also which edition? I heard that 7th edition is really good unlike all the previous ones, so is there really such a huge difference?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am sure this has been brought up before many times but still, how important is first aid for step 2 ck? I mean its really really helpful in step 1, is it as good for step 2? Also which edition? I heard that 7th edition is really good unlike all the previous ones, so is there really such a huge difference?
i am reading this book and its not bad at all. In Step 1 most of the questions are "fact based" so simple recall helps - people expect the same of FA 2CK as well that all the "HY facts" will be there. But its more of a condensed review. Afterall people taking the test create the book on recent HY stuff.. so always worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My personal opinion is that you should do both of them (Pirated print editions have several disadvantages like not being up to date and difficult to monitor your performance score ...etc).

But better than my personal opinion is these threads;
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-2-ck-recommended-threads/66-usmle-world-enough.html
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-s...3-what-best-usmle-step-2-ck-online-qbank.html

You may start a new thread (with a poll) asking our members what do both or only one of them ;)
OK, so after checking these threads and reading ur comment i've decided that i will probably do both Kaplan and U world Q banks BUT my real dilemma is which to start with .... i know that U world is harder and one of my friends that did step 2 CK recently tells me that the educational objectives in U world made up at least 75% of her knowledge and so i thought i start with U world and write down as much as needed of the objectives and then do Kaplan Q bank BUT i'm scared that having done Kaplan bank more closer to the exam i might go in a bit weaker since the Kaplan questions r said to be easier than the real exam ....SO please help .... bare in mind that i plan to do the NBME last before the exam ...!!!! HELP

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would say FA is GOOD book for review.

Few weeks ago I got it (8 edition, the new one) and feel more comfortable after doing 1-2 blocks of UW ... like for Step 1 ...

However, everybody is different, some of us like it, some not, so I think it depend on person. I personally, love FA and recommend to every one.

Take care.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No First Aid for Step 2 CK

I tried First Aid for Step 2 CK and Master the Boards Step 2 CK is much much better. I thing that First Aid has enough information but it is not structured correctly to aid in your preparation for the exam. Master the Boards Step 2 CK is structured like the real exam. What is the first thing you do, what is the best thing to do, what is the next thing to do....just like the real exam. Make sure to do USMLE World Q Bank as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bacterial endocarditis (Endocarditis) - High Yeild Topics For USMLE, 10 Points You Should Know

Bacterial endocarditis (Endocarditis) - High Yeild Topics For USMLE, 10 Points You Should Know
is a localized infection of the endocardium
characterized by vegetations involving the valve leaflets or walls.
It can also be classified as acute (ABE) or subacute (SBE).
Infection of healthy valves by high-virulence organisms
Produces metastatic foci
Usually fatal if not treated within 6 weeks
Most common organism is S. aureus (MCQ)
Seeding of previously damaged valves (rheumatic heart disease, con-
genital valve defects: mitral valve prolapse)
caused by low-virulence organisms
Does not produce metastatic foci
Most common organism is Streptococcus viridans (MCQ)
Mitral valve is most often affected(MCQ)
Read more at news4medico dot com/endocarditis/
1132 High Yeild Topics for USMLE

1 - 18 of 18 Posts