USMLE Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am a US CITIZEN studying in 3RD MBBS in India. I came to medical school straight from high school and therefore do NOT have an undergraduate education (ie. Bachelor's Degree).

I have the opportunity to apply for a transfer to a US MD School OR DO school OR Caribbean school hopefully for my 3rd and 4th year however this is only IF i take the USMLE Step 1.

Obviously as of now I will be an FMG/IMG (with a US citizenship) and therefore will have a more difficult time matching as opposed to AMGs (unless I transfer, that is).

Here is MY PROBLEM:
I have between now (April 21) and October to study for the USMLE Step 1 and score around a 230 (enough for me to be recognized as a transfer applicant), and between that I have four [semi-important] exams to give relating to medical school (basically, I am on crunch time). I took the 7 week Kaplan course in Feb/March but I am not sure if I will be ready by October to take the USMLE, and I don't want to risk failing just for an ATTEMPT to transfer.

Here is MY QUESTION:
Should I take the USMLE this October (and push through the probably agonizing 6 months ahead of me) (the following step would be to apply for a transfer and hopefully get in and become an AMG), or should I wait till after my internship (in 3 years, as the exam gets harder) to feel more confident about steps (in this case I would be an FMG/IMG searching for residency in America).

Other important things to note:
1. I am 19 years old (since I went to med school straight from high school), so time is not that much of a concern for me.
2. I am applying for transfer because A) it will make me an AMG and give me a much better chance of matching and B) I have some connections that can help in the process.

I would really appreciate some advice as I am very confused (making major life decisions is scary:scared:) and have no idea what to do!!
Thank you so much :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
That is an interesting situation to be in!
Becoming an AMG would certainly help you in the match, but I personally don't think that such a short duration of time is enough for you to be giving step 1. I too gave my step 1 in med school and trust me it is not easy to manage it with all the stupid school exams that keep coming. I wanted to give it in 6 months but ended up taking more than a year.
However, if you feel you are ready and confident then go ahead. Otherwise, definitely avoid taking a risk.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts