USMLE Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

All the US med students take the exam in the end of May--June
I m planning on taking mine in the end of may. I am an IMG ofcourse. So for those of you who are taking it in May .. Do you guys think that this will affect us negatively? I assume US students are much smarter or go through a better curriculum, etc. The examinee pool will definitely be a LOT bigger...so how will this affect the curve?

Any takes on this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys

All the US med students take the exam in the end of May--June
I m planning on taking mine in the end of may. I am an IMG ofcourse. So for those of you who are taking it in May .. Do you guys think that this will affect us negatively? I assume US students are much smarter or go through a better curriculum, etc. The examinee pool will definitely be a LOT bigger...so how will this affect the curve?

Any takes on this?
I have the same query? anyone please.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would like to know that too! It does make sense, the pool would be bigger. But as far as I know AMGs don't need that much high scores to get residencies, so most of them usually don't score that high. But of course their curriculum is much better than ours and they are very well oriented for USMLE than we are.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to know that too! It does make sense, the pool would be bigger. But as far as I know AMGs don't need that much high scores to get residencies, so most of them usually don't score that high. But of course their curriculum is much better than ours and they are very well oriented for USMLE than we are.
You are right they dont aim for a lot, but a lot of them do, esp because they are aiming for derm or ortho.
The thing is this is the time of the year ALL of them take the exam, so we can easily say that the number of people taking step one will be DOUBLE. Because it also includes DO students (osteopathic medicine).
That can work in our advantage (IMG) if--- A lot of them score around national average-- and even if just half the pool gets 99 that's still ok
Usually when its only IMGs competing, score more 99's so the curve is higher.
But in case a lot of US grads do really well ie more than 50% get 99, then that can hurt the IMGs..

This is just what I think, but I hope someone who has taken step in May in the past years can give some input whether IMGs got 99's or how it affected them..

·
Registered
76 Posts
So that means that if i'm writing my exam on March 31st, will there be a curve favoring me or against me? I feel that i'm not too clear on this whole curve thing...all i know is that they compare my score with others from 6 months back, which doesnt make sense.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So that means that if i'm writing my exam on March 31st, will there be a curve favoring me or against me? I feel that i'm not too clear on this whole curve thing...all i know is that they compare my score with others from 6 months back, which doesnt make sense.
Rahul , you are fine coz you are taking it in march. AMGs finish their semesters in late april and take the test late May and early June..
So you are not competing with them, which should be same as the rest of the year round.. Goodluck btw :) I know you are gonna do awesome... I just registered for step for late May :eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
when they say that my score is compared to others from 6 months passed, what does that mean? would it be in favor of me? i'm not quite sure how this works.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There is no curve on the usmle!!!!

The usmle makes a preset number in order 2 be able to pass at the start of the year, and it stays that same grade for the rest of the year.. The AMG students are able to do well on the USMLE because there education is just that much better! There teachers teach in a way to be able to perform well on the usmle so that most student will be able to do any specialties they want to do.

I still amazes me that students think there is a bell curve or anything to do with a curve with more students doing the exam at the same time... The only thing that changes is the amount of time it takes for you to recieve results.. lets say 4-6 weeks instead of the usual 3.

Now lets say if AMG's this year do fantastic on there exam.. Then for the USMLE 2012 version, the grade to pass will likely jump up to 192 to meet the old standard of a 75. But during the year... Theres no curve

·
Registered
557 Posts
I am an AMG taking the test in May, and it's true that there is no curve regardless of when you take the exam. There is also no difference with regards to where you take the test. The questions are preset and the curve already determined before you even take the test. The only thing that matters are your numbers, and the reality is that if you are an IMG, you need to score higher than the average AMG to be competitive. I am aiming for a competitive specialty, so I also need to much better than the average AMG. I think we just need to work our butts off and aim for that 99 and not worry about the curve, we can do it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts