USMLE Forums banner

Which subject in Step 1 can be covered by FA only?

• Gross anatomy

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • Neuroanatomy

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Histology

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Embryology

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Biochemistry

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • Molecular biology

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • Immunology

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Medical genetics

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Physiology

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Pathology

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Pharmacology

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Behavioral Sciences

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Statistics & epidemiology

• Microbiology

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • Medicolegal & Ethics

• NONE !!

Votes: 53 49.5%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any subject that you consider it was a waste of time studying it from books other than just FA ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Maybe in the old usmle, you could straight up study first aid... But if you honestly think you can just read the first aid book to get a 99... In todays USMLE.... lol

if you straight up only read first aid... you will get 85 and less

if you add kaplan/Rapid Review + First aid + Qbanks... you will get 85-98

if you use Textbooks + First Aid + Kaplan... pretty much everything a regular student does + one more extra step most people dont take... you will get tht 99

·
Registered
752 Posts
In my opinon, FA is an incredibly precious book for Step 1, and you should memorize it as-is. However, I felt that some sections are quite incomplete; gross anatomy (not neuroanatomy), histology, and cell biology. The sections are small and do not really cover the high-yield stuff as in other sections.

Of course you should use FA as a supplementary book. I mean you should read other review books or watch video lectures at least once.

·
Registered
112 Posts
FA is enough for embryology, histology, anatomy, immunolgy, microbiology and pharmcology. Dont waste ur time on these by studying large books.

·
Registered
570 Posts
As my experience for Step 1
*Micro
*Immunology
*Pharm
*Embryo
*Endrocrino

·
Registered
11 Posts
FROM MY EXAM EXPERIENCE:
FA +usmle world is more than enough in most of the subjects, there is some stuff need to be added like general pharmacology and genetics and general pathology otherwise everything is more than enough in these 2 sources

·
Registered
590 Posts
Those who have already taken the step.... If FA is not enough for Histology then what other book do you suggest we use?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cns pharmac...fa vs kaplan?

IS FA ENOUGH FOR CNS PHARMAC OR SHOULD I DO KAPLAN LN + KAPLAN VIDEOS?...ADVICE PLEASE:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts