USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am new to this forum..What is the transfer of credit? Does it mean marks or hours in each subjects? I initially joined a medical school for 3 months and then was transferred to another medical school for my rest till graduation. Should I mention it in the 186 form? Will that mean I will have to get transcript from the first college for 3 months? who should I get the form signed? from the dean of the 2nd school or both? I am confused..Kindly reply....

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
About the transfer of credit

Educational credits means the number of units you did in each subject/system/course ..etc. This should be seen clearly against each subject in your medical school transcript. E.g Internal Medicine 85 Units, Pathology 45 Units, ...etc

Even if you have done one week at a different school you should then tell the ECFMG about it. But (read my post to the end).

Your form 186 should be signed by the authorized medical school official of your school of graduation "second school" not the first one.

When ECFMG finds out that you have credit transferred from another school they'll be asking your graduation school for verification of that credit transfer and they'll unlikely contact your initial medical school.

However, one example, of a friend of mine (I don't want you take this as a rule). He had problems proving the transfer of credit because his initial school has transferred all his records and files to his new school and his new school final transcript did not mention a transfer of credit. He then had suffered over six months with his two schools and the ECFMG.

So what I suggest for you, before you answer the ECFMG question by YES. You call your second graduation school and ask them whether they'll mention (transfer of credit or units) from that three months that you did. If they are not going to mention that. Then I think the best course of action is to tell ECFMG NO you don't have transfer of credit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had joined a medical college, but changed to another one in subsequent round of counseling. I was in the first one for 2 weeks. So, does this count as transfer of credits?

Also, I did my internship in a different hospital. Is this transfer of credits as well??

Please help.

I'm gettin more and more confused..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sabio I also have the same question. I just transferred from one caribbean school to another caribbean school. THe new school decided to certify me and send my transcripts in showing i transfer and all. I just want to make sure they will not contact my old school because my old school refuse to let me take step 1.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts