USMLE Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I want to know once you send form 186 to ECFMG, and once they have received it, do they notify us immediately or do they take that usual 3 weeks to respond. My form was received yesterday but i havent got any email from them atleast to notify that we have received it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They should have replied right. They havent. It will be more than a day. I have even emailed ecfmg about it.. Or do they contact college or what. I am not understanding?

·
Registered
163 Posts
In my case, they sent me an email stating they received the letter. It was cca 3 wks after my school sent it, so I was getting worried. Anyway. Like day later, they wrote that my application was accepted and to wait for a scheduling permit.
In 5 days, my scheduling permit was ready. (and that weekend was included!!!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey

Once the ECFMG receive your forms they will update the status after ten days in your oasis and send you an email saying they have received your applications. They will process your forms, and verify whether the documentation/certificates are original or not. They will take 3 weeks-4 weeks for the process and then immediately send you an email regarding the status of your application. It took me 21 days for my status update!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Guys I want to know once you send form 186 to ECFMG, and once they have received it, do they notify us immediately or do they take that usual 3 weeks to respond. My form was received yesterday but i havent got any email from them atleast to notify that we have received it.
They will either email you today or tomorrow to let you know that it was received. It will take a week or 2 for the form 186 to get processed and accepted for 5 years. Once that's accepted, it might take a week or 2 for your USMLE step 1 application to be accepted (this is when they give you your eligibility period and scheduling permit).

In total, it should take at least 3 weeks to get your scheduling permit. This also depends on if they have a lot of applications to process. If they do, it could take up to 4 - 6 weeks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, Its now the third day and they still havent informed me that whether they have received it or not. Or should I check into my oasis account?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It still mentions waiting for the form. Hmmm Yeah I can but I wonder why they are not replying. I even emailed them yesterday. They havent replied to that as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It still mentions waiting for the form. Hmmm Yeah I can but I wonder why they are not replying. I even emailed them yesterday. They havent replied to that as well.
Best method to reach them is by telephone.
How do you know it reached them if it says "waiting for form"

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I delivered it through FEDEX. And it reached there on 3rd and it was received by some guy and signed. So thats why I am assuming it has reached.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I delivered it through FEDEX. And it reached there on 3rd and it was received by some guy and signed. So thats why I am assuming it has reached.
Oh so you sent it personally. . . I see.
Yeah, you should call and speak to someone about it. They are usually helpful via phone.

·
Registered
130 Posts
There are 2 options if you read the instructions. One is that your medical school signs and sends the form 186 etc.
Second option is that you can just take the printed form 186 to a notary public and get it signed by him & send it yourself. Usually IMGs (just to emphasize, graduates not students) who are now outside their home country opt for this option. In any case, once your credentials are received by ECFMG, ECFMG will contact your medical school by itself (in some case via EMSWP) to verify your credentials.
My question is, has anyone recently tried the 2nd option and everything worked perfectly fine?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts