USMLE Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 4-year-old boy is brought to the physician by his parents because of global developmental delays and odd behaviors such as hand flapping. His mother has a learning disability, and his maternal uncle has mental retardation. Physical examination shows macrocephaly, large ears, and a prominent chin. He has a 3-word vocabulary. A diagnosis of fragile X syndrome is made. After the parents are informed of the results, they ask if their healthy 12-year-old daughter, who has met all developmental milestones, should be tested to determine her carrier status. Which of the following responses by the physician is most appropriate?

A) I recommend testing her now so that she can be prepared for what may lie ahead should she have children.
B) I recommend waiting until she is older and mature enough to decide for herself if she would like to be tested.
C) It would be better is she were at least 16 years of age, closer to her childbearing years, before testing was initiated.
D) Lets discuss this situation with her, review the pros and cons of testing, and then ask her is she would like to be tested now.
E) Lets hold off on that and discuss the options with her when she is planning to marry and have children.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
i think its A

she's a minor and this is a step that will benefit here no need to hold it back. so yeah A. D seems kinda off. i dunno. what's the answer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
guyz i dont know the answer.... i hope some staff members answer it and explain it as well..... i try to bring here very difficult questions which i feel confused in... i would go with A
 
  • Like
Reactions: fauzan

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
I say B. No need to chk it right away, her choice. Yes A is good in the run, however I believe SHE should be given the right to choose, since are life currently isn't being jeoperdized.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
Will go with A

I would go with A.
Why B ?
Girl's age is 12 years still a minor,so physician should follow the decision made by the parents why to wait until she is older, testing her earlier will not do any harm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
I would go with A.
Why B ?
Girl's age is 12 years still a minor,so physician should follow the decision made by the parents why to wait until she is older, testing her earlier will not do any harm.
I would go with be cause I think it doesnt really matter if it is tested right away. Futhermore if she is older she can decide for herself and so her autonomy is respected. I think since Genetic counseling results can be very life changing, people should decide for themselves and since there is no difference waiting... Thats why I choose B.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
I remember question like this in Kaplan qbank
but i dont exactly remember the answer what i had marked:))

This is the beauty of Behavioral science questions you will never be sure until u know the answer
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top