USMLE Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This is my first post. Thank you for your helpful posts and comments. I am here sharing a little bit about the hardship of my preparation and condition. Your supporting comments and inspiring stories will be very helpful and appreciated. I am an IMG graduated on 2015 (russian medium). Preparing for USMLE step 1 at the same time taking care of my 2.5 yo son. Put him in a daycare last month. Unfortunately the daycare turned him down today, and let me know that they no longer accept him. My son is autistic :( he is being assessed waiting for his tests and diagnose, but it is so obvious he is different. not talking, very aggressive towards me. I was thinking should I stop preparation, should I gave up this :eek: I am so overwhelmed by looking after my son and doing other things at the same time. I started to doubt my capacity and strengths :( although I was top in my highschool and did very well in medschool. But now I feel like i am not that person anymore. I am 33 and I feel like by the time i write my exams and apply for residency i will be 35+ and will have less chance of getting into anything. I am so confused should I carry on preparing and pursuing my career, or should I stop and take care of my son and focus on him. Is it possible to do both? Since I just started preparation I don't know to which extent it's hard to prepare.
sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello everyone. This is my first post. Thank you for your helpful posts and comments. I am here sharing a little bit about the hardship of my preparation and condition. Your supporting comments and inspiring stories will be very helpful and appreciated. I am an IMG graduated on 2015 (russian medium). Preparing for USMLE step 1 at the same time taking care of my 2.5 yo son. Put him in a daycare last month. Unfortunately the daycare turned him down today, and let me know that they no longer accept him. My son is autistic
he is being assessed waiting for his tests and diagnose, but it is so obvious he is different. not talking, very aggressive towards me. I was thinking should I stop preparation, should I gave up this
I am so overwhelmed by looking after my son and doing other things at the same time. I started to doubt my capacity and strengths
although I was top in my highschool and did very well in medschool. But now I feel like i am not that person anymore. I am 33 and I feel like by the time i write my exams and apply for residency i will be 35+ and will have less chance of getting into anything. I am so confused should I carry on preparing and pursuing my career, or should I stop and take care of my son and focus on him. Is it possible to do both? Since I just started preparation I don't know to which extent it's hard to prepare.
sorry for the long post.
Hi Aria
I know exactly what you are going through. I have two daughters and I am around the same as you. It is frustrating and confusing too. My only words to you is give yourself the credit of being a mom and a dr. Stay strong and fight . I am doing the same. It is difficult no easy but not impossible. It needs lots of sacrifices and hard work. Hang in there and fight .

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Hi Aria,
I am no way similar to you, by that I mean I'm 22, still in med school, nothing to really worry about except classes so I surely don't understand your problem as I have been nowhere near in a similar situation. But all I can say is that I see a great story, against all odds, how a mother can change her life and her child's life.
Let this burden be your motivation.
All the best in your journey!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Be strong, It must be very hard. I am 33 ,an old grad( 2008) mom of 2y daughter. I passed step 1 this summer. If you can find some family member to help you with the care of your son that might be a plus. Be strong, you can do it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
All things work together for good.

am a mother of a blind deaf autistic child,a victim of medical mistake by my colleagues in Africa.i immediately relocated to the united states and found out I had to face this exams.
its very tough,trust me and I can relate to your feelings of lack of self worth having been one of the best from my school.
in the midst of all the pains,distractions of medical trips,coping in a new environment,rejections by daycare,tears and of course overwhelming study load,take a deep breath,strategise,trust in God.
it might be a longer journey for you but surely you will get there with perseverance and consistence if you believe,keep your heads up,ask for help,reach out for resources(I got loads of help from resources in USA despite not been a citizen,God bless America)
yes it took a longer time ..since 2012 but today am applying to programs for residency...so yes you can!
the toughest battle comes to the strongest solders,someday that child will be proud of you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tutor if you need help

Hi i am atutor for step 1. Will work with your flexible schedule for a monthly flat rate if you are willing and make sure that you make it to the exam and score good on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts