USMLE Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question ... in CS cases you have to do neurologic exam ... i think to do only neurology exam presented in first aid book will take at least 3 mins ... so i just want to know ... in first aid case if they say do neurology exam ... do i need to do the whole neurologic exam for that case , suppose in a case of passing out ... cause with this u also need to do cvs / resp / head-neck exam .....

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
You won't have enough time

You won't have enough time to do a complete neurological examination and the examiners are fully aware of this fact and therefore they don't expect you to do a full comprehensive neurological examination.

First Aid is being ideal regarding this point but in reality nobody can do it in 5-7 minutes.

For example if you have a faint or loss of consciousness case then your best bet is to examine the mini mental exam and quickly go over major reflexes and muscle power and perhaps few of the cranial nerves. You can skip the sensory exam if it's not relevant for example if you suspect epilepsy or a cardiac cause for the loss of consciousness.

·
Registered
15 Posts
no not at all... u don't have time for a complete neurologic exam!!!
just know the mini mental exam in case u needed it!! otherwise no time!! u may need to check the gait by asking the pt to walk in the room! or maybe rapid alternating test for balance! but not the whole sensory or motor exam! But try to learn testing the cranial nerves in a short time, u can do it quickly n efficiently during the given time!

·
Registered
88 Posts
no not at all... u don't have time for a complete neurologic exam!!!
just know the mini mental exam in case u needed it!! otherwise no time!! u may need to check the gait by asking the pt to walk in the room! or maybe rapid alternating test for balance! but not the whole sensory or motor exam! But try to learn testing the cranial nerves in a short time, u can do it quickly n efficiently during the given time!
does the rapid alternating test for balance substitute walking for gait?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts