USMLE Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a plan to take step 1 in late Jan or early Feb.
I have gone through Kaplan lecture notes twice and UW once.
Now, I have just started third time study of lecture notes and I am studying Bio/Genetics, however, when I study some topics in genetics they don't make sense to me now, although I feel that when I used to study them second time I was good. On the other hand the time is not allowing me to study in detail now. what should I do? Please help me!

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
There are 160 questions in the Kaplan Qbank about genetics/biochemistry
Do them all after finishing your third reading and if you score above 70 then you are in good shape and you don't need to worry at all.
Alternatively , if you don't want to ruin you Kaplan Qbank cake for your later on final review, then do USMLERx and do genetics only.
I don't recommend that you read any other new material at this critical time of review.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Although I totally agree with what Firas said but there's something else I'd like to bring your attention to.
You said that your second reading was better than your third reading.
This is a symptom of overload and exhaustion I think. Sometimes, prolonging the preparation far too long is not good.
The exam prep should be in the form of intellectual enema, which means; swallow everything in the shortest possible time and throw it all off at the exam day.
This "exhaustion syndrome" if you allow me to call it, is a common occurrence among old graduates and specially in step1.
Perhaps, you don't need a third reading.
What was your average score in USMLE world? If it was above 60-65% then I suggest you immediately do NBME and if it predicts a good score then you go ahead and take the exam ASAP.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks so much to both of you.
My performance on UW was 65-70% overall after my second read of kaplan lecture notes.
The process of my application has not been complted so far. I am await to receive Schedule permit and then I will do NBME and inform both of u of my result and will date the exam according to your advice.
Keep in touch with me.
Best wishes to both of you,
Although I totally agree with what Firas said but there's something else I'd like to bring your attention to.
You said that your second reading was better than your third reading.
This is a symptom of overload and exhaustion I think. Sometimes, prolonging the preparation far too long is not good.
The exam prep should be in the form of intellectual enema, which means; swallow everything in the shortest possible time and throw it all off at the exam day.
This "exhaustion syndrome" if you allow me to call it, is a common occurrence among old graduates and specially in step1.
Perhaps, you don't need a third reading.
What was your average score in USMLE world? If it was above 60-65% then I suggest you immediately do NBME and if it predicts a good score then you go ahead and take the exam ASAP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts