USMLE Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I was under the impression that histoplasmosis is common in the Ohio, Mississippi river valley areas and blastomycosis is common in the south east. That was until I encountered a couple of questions in UWorld which made me question my beliefs :confused: Their explanations implied that I had my concepts the wrong way around.
Today I encountered another question which reaffirmed my initial concept.

Need someone from Ohio or Mississippi to help me out here..

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
haha...these were the most confusing when i was preparing for step 1

this is how i remember

according to step 1 knowledge(First aid -step 1)---both are common in ohio and missisippi..........histo(bat droppings,cave exploring) and blasto(erythema nodosum)
and coccidiomycosis------>desert rheumatism---so arid(dry) regions....Arizona,texas
paracoccidiomycosis------>south america

hope it helps

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks mate. That's what I thought as well. But UWorld Q IDs 2999 and 3037 disagree with this. Whereas Q IDs 3176, 4114 and 4938 corroborate with what you and I know to be true. I'm torn as to which Q IDs to put my faith in.

EDIT: On rereading your explanation I revise my statement. You and I did not share the same concept. Thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
"Coccidioides is found in the dust and soil of semiarid areas in the southwestern United States, Mexico, and South America. Endemic states for Coccidioides include California, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Texas, and Utah. There have been infrequent reports of coccidioidomycosis infections in non-endemic states such as Colorado, Louisiana, Missouri, Ohio, Michigan, Maryland, New Hampshire, and Delaware. These infections could be due to changing endemic regions or they might be occurring in people who have traveled to the endemic areas. As with many fungi, the characteristics of Coccidioides-endemic regions may be changing.

Blastomycosis is reportable – meaning physicians should report cases of blastomycosis to local public health agencies – in some states, including Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, and Wisconsin. No national surveillance exists, so physicians should contact their local health department for information regarding reporting of blastomycosis.

Histoplasmosis is reportable in some states, including Kentucky, Minnesota, Illinois, Mississippi, Michigan, Indiana, and Pennsylvania. No national surveillance exists, so physicians should contact their local health department for information regarding reporting of histoplasmosis."

cdc.gov

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.