USMLE Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99, 258, just got it about 5 minutes ago... Thank you everyone on the step 1 forum for your helping me out.

Score distribution: V. similar to what i got on the NBMEs: behavioral, musculoskeletal, immuno didn't have stars.

This is my thoughts again from after the exam:
Just got back from the exam, damn that felt hard and long.

Actually to be fair, there were around 10-14 questions per block that seemed hard, rest were straight forward/can be figured out.

Timing - was brutal, break time passes by so fast, every block I just had enough time to finish my last question.

genetics is an important subject.

I seriously don't know how I did, sometimes not so bad, sometimes not so good? I will post stuff as I remember.

thanks for all your help on this forum.

Word of advice: look at all the questions people post here in the forums!, no matter how weird or extravagantly hard they seem, because believe it or not they will be repeated in the exam...

Preparation info coming soon, gimme a few hours.

Here's my NBME history:
UWSA 1 - 244
UWSA 2 - 263
NBME 5 - 244
NBME 6 - 240
NBME 7 - 260
NBME 3 - 255
NBME 4 - 263
NBME 2 - 253

·
Registered
487 Posts
Congratulation Drbluedevil, that's an amazing score. Well done bro, wish you best of luck for Step 2&3.

Now its time for party..... enjoy:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Length - Killer, much longer than NBMEs, granted there were single liners here and there but I missed like 3 questions at the end of the second block due to lack of time.....just had to pick something before time ran out.
Personally, i felt the clock on the real exam was bugged and was running faster than normal!!!

Difficulty of exam - seemed fair, nowhere near as hard as UWorld, but similar concepts tested. The material tested isn't hard/impossible, its just hard because of the time factor, gimme another 10 minutes for each block and i probably would have left the center with a sardonic smile Yeah there were a lot of research oriented questions but they could be figured out if you knew what they wanted. Again, this took time to think, 70 seconds fly by so fast and in the later blocks your brain doesn't want to think, it wants to pick something and move on...

Resource Ranking:

1. Uworld - this qbank probably has the most exam-like content, although it may seem vague at first, stick to it, it will pay off in the exam. The question length is much much longer than uworld though, so you should be doing them in like 60percent of the time. Without Uworld, i can imagine how the exam would have been for me. If you haven't done uworld, I doubt you will do awesome on this exam. But again, use your NBME to guide your prep. If at least 2 NBME forms predict a good score for you, then yeah go for it.

2. Kaplan notes - worth their weight in gold, memorize their tables and you should be in the money, i have heard that Kaplan MEd essentials is basically all the tables, so look into that if you don't have the time.

3. FA - not so much, i flipped through it the days before the exam, seemed full of facts, but the exam didn't test facts, in fact 95% of the questions are application application application. I would rate this quite low, but the section at the end rating all the resources is good.

Learn to guess - there were situations in the exam when i had it narrowed to like 2 choices and had to guess, this was hard for me, but it helps to be able to just make good guesses FAST, i would dwell on a question for a few minutes and timing is everything in this exam.
How do i feel? i feel like i could be anywhere on that score distribution, its hard to tell, no instant score gratification like in the NBMEs..
good luck to anyone preparing.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Congrats indeed DrBlueDevil, that is rule an amazing score! Thank you for sharing your experience with us and all the best for the next steps! :)

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Awesome

Congratulations drbluedevil,

This is a great fantastic score and we wish you all the best in your next USMLE Steps.

We thank you for sharing your experience with USMLE Forums members.

All the best,

·
Registered
281 Posts
Congratulations on the great score! :)

Your absolutely for sure one of the elite on this forum.

Reactions: 5dns

·
Registered
121 Posts
Congrats!! Must feel amazing to see all your hard work payed off:) I was wondering if you only did UWorld? I have completed it once, going through it for the second time (and still learning alot lol). I have about 5 weeks to go, do you think it would be beneficial to add in another qbank?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats!! Must feel amazing to see all your hard work payed off:) I was wondering if you only did UWorld? I have completed it once, going through it for the second time (and still learning alot lol). I have about 5 weeks to go, do you think it would be beneficial to add in another qbank?
for you, i think 5 weeks is enough if you got time, but yeah kaplan qbank isnt as good as uworld. If you can go through kaplan in about 3 weeks then spend the last two weeks reviewing uworld, it would be ok, otherwise just go through uworld, review ur notes and give that exam.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
What was the duration of preparation?

Im using similiar books / material and expect to finish everything within 5 months :notsure:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congratulations

99, 258, just got it about 5 minutes ago... Thank you everyone on the step 1 forum for your helping me out.

Score distribution: V. similar to what i got on the NBMEs: behavioral, musculoskeletal, immuno didn't have stars.

This is my thoughts again from after the exam:
Just got back from the exam, damn that felt hard and long.

Actually to be fair, there were around 10-14 questions per block that seemed hard, rest were straight forward/can be figured out.

Timing - was brutal, break time passes by so fast, every block I just had enough time to finish my last question.

genetics is an important subject.

I seriously don't know how I did, sometimes not so bad, sometimes not so good? I will post stuff as I remember.

thanks for all your help on this forum.

Word of advice: look at all the questions people post here in the forums!, no matter how weird or extravagantly hard they seem, because believe it or not they will be repeated in the exam...

Preparation info coming soon, gimme a few hours.

Here's my NBME history:
UWSA 1 - 244
UWSA 2 - 263
NBME 5 - 244
NBME 6 - 240
NBME 7 - 260
NBME 3 - 255
NBME 4 - 263
NBME 2 - 253
Hey buddy ,

Heartfelt Congrats to you . Enjoy these moments . You deserve it.:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts