USMLE Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Got my score just now......204/84.........I know that's nothing compared to all those 99's people get, but I am happy to first have cleared step-1...but slightly disappointed with the score.

My exam was in late August but scores were delayed because of some problem with the student status verification (I guess so). I did NBME form7 and I got 450/212/88, but the real thing is different with added anxiety levels and exam center environment and the level of questions, especially more clinical stuff. (form7 is the real thing, so please go for that).
I prepared for about 10 weeks and used Kaplan video and lecture notes, Goljan audio, Goljan path material, and a little of UW. I wish I had some more time to prepare and maybe I'd have got in the 90's, but nevertheless, it's of no use now cuz the exam's over and score are in. Now that i know what's the real deal, i know how to prepare for Step 2 CK for a much better score.

Wish me luck people.........
And thanks to the USMLE forums staff Rasheed, Sabio, Lee and others for helping everyone in this forum, answering questions and giving useful advise.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Excellent

Congratulations.

Passing the USMLE Exam is a great accomplishment. Your score is not bad at all. You can fortify your profile with a high Step 2 CK score and some US Clinical Experience and you should be able to get into residency with no problems.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Go ahead and ace the CK and we'll see you soon in our Step 2 CK Forum ;)

By the way, your CK score is highly likely to be higher than Step 1, read this http://www.usmle-forums.com/general...eads/3088-your-step-2-ck-step-1-gradient.html

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well done dude, you did really well considering the limited amount of time you had. Be happy with the fact that you have passed, now you have the exam experience which you can surely use for next steps and they will definitely benefit you. :) ALL THE BEST!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Congrats!

Congrats!...well done...can you please share with us more about your exam experience. Can you tell us any details you remember about your exam (ex: which subjects did if focus on a lot, how many media questions did you have, were the questions more difficult than the nbme questions or similar difficulty level, were the concepts covered in USMLE WORLD mostly tested on the actual exam or where they some concepts that you have never seen before, etc...anything and everything you tell us will help us).

Also, i have about month and half left till my exam and i am preparing to do First Aid, USMLE WORLD, and listen to Goljan audios...does that sound like a good plan? Also, are there anything that you would do different in your prep if you could go back and do it over again (basically i am asking is there something you wish you did that you didn't do)?

Also, did you only take one nbme (form 7)? or did you take others too? If so, which form seemed most familiar to the actual exam? Were there any repeated questions on your real exam from these nbme forms?

Sorry for so many questions, but the answers will really help us out! Congrats again to you!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hope this helps u guys!

@noone_123i:
Whatever is on the exam is clinical (like 80%) They have really reduced the direct questions in accordance with the recent changes made to the test pool. Media q's were not many (maybe 3 or 4). I strongly recommend NBME form 7 because thats latest and has expanded feedback. Don't use the usmle score correlation table provided in NBME. I got 450 and nbme said it's 212, but FA predicted 450 as 206, thats closest to my score. Difficulty level was more than NBME but definitely easier than Uworld. I marked about 8-9 questions per block that i thought would be impossible to answer. The time was sufficient for covering all blocks. I only wish that i had more time to prepare. What material you are using is what every1 uses for step-1 prep. But just remember that we do the nbme forms at home with no real exam stress but the real thing is much different. I'd definitely wanted a higher score but i'll manage with research and USCE. I did not have enough time to revise twice anything and i relied purely on my memory, but since you have 1.5 months remaining, better revise important stuff. It's been 2 months since i took the exam so i may have forgotten some things, but hope this is what you need to know.

All the best for ur exam.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FA means first aid for the Usmle step-1.
The first chapter has a table correlating NBME scores to actual usmle scores. Check that out!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are many different score correlators for NBME. I think that the table in FA is more accurate than that provided in the NBME website.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well done on passing step 1!!! I'm excited for you!
I'm hoping to get my score next week after a LONG delay due to student status verification as well.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers

·
Registered
161 Posts
congrats..

hey congrats on clearing the exam.i love your your attitude and approach and am sure you will do better because you haven't given up.i also got the same score as you in nbme 7 [460/89] and i wish i will be as calm as you when i get the my step 1 score.[knowing myself i would be having a big panic attack:rolleyes:] so here's wishing you luck from someone wh is in same boat as you..:D

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey congrats on clearing the exam.i love your your attitude and approach and am sure you will do better because you haven't given up.i also got the same score as you in nbme 7 [460/89] and i wish i will be as calm as you when i get the my step 1 score.[knowing myself i would be having a big panic attack:rolleyes:] so here's wishing you luck from someone wh is in same boat as you..:D
Hey faith, thanks for your concern n gratitude. I wish you success reg. your step-1 result and ask you not to panic otherwise. It's absolutely normal to worry a little if score's not too good, but dnt be depressed. All the best for your results!!!:cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts