USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I will start my clinical elective in plastic surgery at Yale I had a couple of concerns about how things will be there, me being from an Asian country, we have an entirely different setup here. I wanted to know how American students do their rotation/electives?

What are they required to do or know?

What are the dos and donts of these electives and surgery in particular?

How to impress your professor so that he gives you a damn good LOR?

Which things should i be well versed in?

As I will be scrubbing in on OR cases what are the things that I need to know?

If someone has had a clinical rotation in surgery in an American med school or a plastics for that matter.........please guide me as to what do the big uni mentors/consultants expect their elective students to know or do?

PLZ i have to prepare myself well................:confused:

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Don't worry

Your tutors expect your level of knowledge to be almost zero when you go for an elective. Therefore, you don't need to prepare anything.

However, once you join you'll be asked to prepare and read and even perhaps to prepare some case presentations and tutorials.

You don't worry about it. You'll get to know everything once you join.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
plz let me know of the dos and donts of electives

Your tutors expect your level of knowledge to be almost zero when you go for an elective. Therefore, you don't need to prepare anything.

However, once you join you'll be asked to prepare and read and even perhaps to prepare some case presentations and tutorials.

Thank u Sabio for replying i really appreciate it...........but if you still give me a few tips and the dos and donts of this elective will be v thankful :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank u Sabio for replying i really appreciate it...........but if you still give me a few tips and the dos and donts of this elective will be v thankful :)
plz anyone who has had an experience...............kindly reply!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
guidance please

:)

Hi Sabio,

I wanted to know if an elective in emergency medicine helps in getting a residency in internal medicine?or is it a diiferent field altogether?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
:)

Hi Sabio,

I wanted to know if an elective in emergency medicine helps in getting a residency in internal medicine?or is it a different field altogether?
It does help.
In fact, IM people are most concerned about your emergency and resuscitation preparedness so they'll like it if you have done ER elective.
Nevertheless, it would be even better if you also do IM elective in addition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts