USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Nice question

Nice question:
If you think of the options carefully you'll see that only the spleen has no direct connection to the gut, all the others have some kind of "tube" connections to the gut :)

The spleen is derived from the mesoderm not the gut (endoderm). Yet it's still supplied by a branch of the celiac trunk.

Viscera that are of mesodermal origins are:
Spleen, Kidney and adrenals, Gonads, and the Heart. All other visceral organs are derived from the endoderm including the Thyroid.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a problem with this question.
I agree with you about the spleen but the some parts of the dueodenum receives blood supply from the inferior pancreaticoduodenal artery yet still derived form the foregut!

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Clarification

I have a problem with this question.
I agree with you about the spleen but the some parts of the dueodenum receives blood supply from the inferior pancreaticoduodenal artery yet still derived form the foregut!
Only the first part and half of the second part of the duodenum are derived from the foregut and these are supplied by the superior pancreaticoduodenal artery which is a branch of the gastroduodenal which is a branch of the common hepatic which is a branch of the celiac trunk.

The second second half of the second part of the duodenum and the third part and the fourth part are derived from the midgut and are supplied by the inferior pancreaticoduodenal artery which is a branch of the superior mesenteric artery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts