USMLE Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

While I was going through some Qbank questions for step1, i encountered several questions dealing with orthopedics stuff, like fractures classifications and nomenclature, also i've seen some questions about gynecological issues ( placenta previa, placenta accreta, PROM, etc .. ) .. so, are these a high yield aspects of step1 ? do they frequently appear on step 1?
and if so, what is a good source for studying those materials ?

Please notice, I am talking about step 1 not step 2!

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
More clinical in Step 1

The integration of clinical content is becoming more prominent in Step 1. That's why commercial qbanks are putting more "clinically oriented" questions in their Step 1 banks.

That's why it's better to take step 1 after at least you finish your internal medicine course.

I've seen questions about all sorts of gyne and ortho problems but they usually ask about the pathophysiology rather than the outright clinical management.

For example if they present you with a fracture then they'll probably ask about nerve or vascular injuries and the anatomical parts affected. Or if they ask you about a certain ObGyn scenario then they'll ask what is the pathophysiology of pre-eclampsia for example, they don't ask you how to manage pre-eclampia (that would be in the CK).

Another point, if you are using Kaplan Qbank then don't bother too much about the long clinical explanation they just want to make the explanation complete and perfect but that's doesn't mean it's a high yield info.

Hope that helps :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts