USMLE Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 34 year old female who has been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome has been suffering from anovulation, mild acne, and hairsuitism. The most striking feature on physical examination was the development of terminal hair on the point of the chin, chest, and upper back. Patient agreed on starting oral contaceptive pills to treat here PCOS. She then asks what is the issue with her excessive hair. Your best answer should be which of the following?
A- She can expect complete disappearance of her exccessive hair once she start the OCP therapy
B- The only cure for hairsuitism is by removal of the ovaries
C- Hair growth will likely worsen even with therapy
D- Treatment will prevent future hair growth but unlikely to affect existing hairs
E- OCP does not affect hair growth in PCOS

·
Registered
1 Posts
it won't affect existing hairs because they have already grown - simple as that. The hair growth was driven by testosterone stimulation of the hair follicle. the oral contraception will lower the levels of testosterone and reduce future hair growth, but the existing hairs will not suddenly disappear, so for cosmetic reasons the patient would have to physically remove the hairs - e.g. waxing.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it won't affect existing hairs because they have already grown - simple as that. The hair growth was driven by testosterone stimulation of the hair follicle. the oral contraception will lower the levels of testosterone and reduce future hair growth, but the existing hairs will not suddenly disappear, so for cosmetic reasons the patient would have to physically remove the hairs - e.g. waxing.
As far as I understand, hairs go in cycle they grow-fall-grow so the existing hair should fall and should not regrow, why it stays there!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
As far as I understand, hairs go in cycle they grow-fall-grow so the existing hair should fall and should not regrow, why it stays there!
yes you are right....but i think what @jimjones was saying is--anagen phase is active for 2-5 yrs(90% hair will be in this phase)...so for immediate relief waxing should be done...if they fall they wont regrow again that's for sure...but it's just my opinion...still waiting for any expertise explanation

1 - 7 of 7 Posts