USMLE Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I graduated this year(IMG), started Step 1 prep mid/late July, gave NBME 12 and got a 151, and took an eligibility period of Oct-Dec 2016, now extended to March 2017.

Until last week or so, the prep was extremely slow with <3 hours per day and I still have Patho, Pharm and Micro to cover first time in 2-3 years(Though the prep in my school years was enough to pass, I wouldn't consider it good). First Aid too remains unused except for half of Biochemistry. Of Qbanks, I've used Kaplan and USMLErx to about 10-15% each. I attempted a full lenght USMLErx mock test yesterday and got 176.

Now a days, I'm able to spend ~6 hours a day and, although I'm trying, I'm not sure if I'll be able to reach 10-12 hours a day, although 8 should be possible. I have now taken an early Feb 2017 date for Step 1 but I'm having doubts if I'd be able to prepare well by that time after these USMLErx results (aiming 250 with a minimum acceptable of 240).

For Step 2 CS, I have taken an early April 2017 date (the eligibility period being until late May). Reading online suggested it not a good a very good idea taking CS before CK(which I have planned for August 2017). I did this in order to have the results in hand by September 15, 2017, so that I may be able to participate in the match.

Now, I'm not too sure if it would be possible to keep this schedule with decent scores(>240) and pass on first attempt. That is Step 1 - early Feb, CS - early April, CK - mid August. I would be grateful if any senior could comment if these plans and goals are practical, or if there is a better way.

Because, if this is not practical, I only see 2 ways, both involving skipping the 2018 match (since programs don't really consider non-ECFMG certified IMGs).

1) Take my last Step 1 date (late march), CS - late may, CK - late September /October.

2) Take Step 1 in march, and skip and forfeit CS fee and go the traditional way of 1/CK/CS.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I graduated this year(IMG), started Step 1 prep mid/late July, gave NBME 12 and got a 151, and took an eligibility period of Oct-Dec 2016, now extended to March 2017.

Until last week or so, the prep was extremely slow with <3 hours per day and I still have Patho, Pharm and Micro to cover first time in 2-3 years(Though the prep in my school years was enough to pass, I wouldn't consider it good). First Aid too remains unused except for half of Biochemistry. Of Qbanks, I've used Kaplan and USMLErx to about 10-15% each. I attempted a full lenght USMLErx mock test yesterday and got 176.

Now a days, I'm able to spend ~6 hours a day and, although I'm trying, I'm not sure if I'll be able to reach 10-12 hours a day, although 8 should be possible. I have now taken an early Feb 2017 date for Step 1 but I'm having doubts if I'd be able to prepare well by that time after these USMLErx results (aiming 250 with a minimum acceptable of 240).

For Step 2 CS, I have taken an early April 2017 date (the eligibility period being until late May). Reading online suggested it not a good a very good idea taking CS before CK(which I have planned for August 2017). I did this in order to have the results in hand by September 15, 2017, so that I may be able to participate in the match.

Now, I'm not too sure if it would be possible to keep this schedule with decent scores(>240) and pass on first attempt. That is Step 1 - early Feb, CS - early April, CK - mid August. I would be grateful if any senior could comment if these plans and goals are practical, or if there is a better way.

Because, if this is not practical, I only see 2 ways, both involving skipping the 2018 match (since programs don't really consider non-ECFMG certified IMGs).

1) Take my last Step 1 date (late march), CS - late may, CK - late September /October.

2) Take Step 1 in march, and skip and forfeit CS fee and go the traditional way of 1/CK/CS.
USMLErx is much easier than real thing

NBME is more spot on.
151 is like taking test with eyes closed - JK, but it is very low.
Do not stress about a test right now, I was in your shoes.
You need a solid review of the entire material before you take another NBME.
hours per day is not as important as how you actually spend them
make a study plan and stick to it.
5 hours a day of focused study is much better than half a$$ 8 hour long day to burn out in a week.

Do a solid review, read this forum and calm down.
Your knowledge will grow proportionally

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
USMLErx is much easier than real thing

NBME is more spot on.
151 is like taking test with eyes closed - JK, but it is very low.
Do not stress about a test right now, I was in your shoes.
You need a solid review of the entire material before you take another NBME.
hours per day is not as important as how you actually spend them
make a study plan and stick to it.
5 hours a day of focused study is much better than half a$$ 8 hour long day to burn out in a week.

Do a solid review, read this forum and calm down.
Your knowledge will grow proportionally
Thanks!

So, I think the reasonable approach would be to not stress too much about having 1,CK & CS done before September 2017 and to :

1) Continue with the step 1 prep and once I'm done with first review, take either an NBME, UWSA or Kaplan Self assessment.
2) If I score <230-235 and I have at least 1 month to exam date, then postpone.
3) If I am unable to get anywhere near an acceptable score by 1 month before the last date in my eligibility period (March), then register for a new eligibility period. (I hope it doesn't come to this)
4) Reschedule CS accordingly. And similarly register for CK after I'm done with these.

Basically to try my best to be done with these exams to participate in 2017-2018 match, but as of now, the exam prep takes precedence.

About about study plan, I think it probably would take me about 1-1.5 month to be done with the remaining subjects, and then I could perhaps start with topic review from Kaplan books/Pathoma and FA as they are organised in FA. Then do UW for that topic tutor mode; and move on to the next.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts