USMLE Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of late, I have been reading lots of USMLE step 1 takers saying that they had 230 plus on NBME but in real exam they either failed or score very poorly. Is NBME no more that predictable of real exam score? :scared: or what? I am expecting my result next week but such stories are so scary and gives a sense of hopelessness. :confused: . Don't know what to say :eek:

· Registered
36 Posts
I think there are a lot of factors that you have to take into consideration. I know some people who take an nbme and they look up answers, especially when they are really stuck. You might have some people who take an nbme and get above a 230 and makes them complacent.

So imagine somebody who only took NBME 7 before the exam and got a 215, they did that 3 weeks before the exam. Now for 3 weeks they busted their hump working harder. They could score a above a 230. Now the exact opposite. Someone who got a 230 on NBME 7 three weeks before their exam day. Saw that 230 and felt comfortable and took a laid back approach. Got their step 1 score and it was a 218 or something.

I'm not accusing anyone or relating this to their accounts, I haven't taken the test yet and I don't know what kind of situations are encountered on the actual exam. But I feel like the more you treat the NBME as an actual exam, and the more you use it as a tool to tell you where you stand as far as knowledge rather score, the more beneficial the NBME's.

That's my two-cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.