USMLE Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I am studying medicine outside US and also am not an american.
I heard something about in order to be successful at USMLE, it is best if you finished your med school under 8 years, or it won't have a good impression somewhere down the road...

Is is correct or does any one have any information about these kind of limitation and rules regarding being successful at USMLE?

Thank you all
Pooya

·
Registered
741 Posts
That's not true

There's no rule that govern the number of years during which you have to finish your medical school.

In fact, because the world is so variable in this regard the ECFMG does not discriminate and accept any medical school graduate and everyone is eligible to take the USMLE exam.

After you finish the USMLE exam you'll then be applying for residency. Residency program directors and selection committees may have a look at your MSPE and your transcript but it won't have that weight compared to your USMLE scores which are much more important

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about couples?!

Another thing...

What is the deal with couples who are married? I and my wife are both med students and same year. We are both planning for USMLE, and I heard that there is an option after passing USMLE, the couples can apply for a single hospital or city, so they can make the marriage work...

Is it true? and does being married affect the chances for residency in any way?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Another thing...

What is the deal with couples who are married? I and my wife are both med students and same year. We are both planning for USMLE, and I heard that there is an option after passing USMLE, the couples can apply for a single hospital or city, so they can make the marriage work...

Is it true? and does being married affect the chances for residency in any way?
Yes. That's true. You and your wife can rank the same programs/cities in the match.
For more information about this please read the threads listed here
Threads Tagged with Couple Match

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello! I am a US-IMG. I left med school for two years due to financial reasons. I am afraid that on my medical school transcript it will appear that I failed 2 years. Do I have good chances to match if I get good LORs and good USMLE scores?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really? how? :)
Well, we all know that Med course is no easy education and really requires long study time due to its complexity. And on top of that, practice, residency and specialization will likewise entails time. Simply because Medical education deals with human life and the complexities of people's diseases and wellbeing. It's a constant and continuous discovery of knowledge of the human body with no bounds as to how long. :toosad:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah true :) I didn't fail those years. I didn't go to school for two years because of financial/familiar problems but I am afraid that on my medical transcript it will appear that I failed twice! :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts