USMLE Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IMG Help Needed - Electives

I haven't given any of the Steps as of yet and came to know about electives from a fellow countryman. He said that a step1 score is must for an elective and since my country(INDIA) will not credit such internships from the US so basically I will be considered as absent during those elective days.

My major questions are:

1>I came to learn a little more about electives from the website fmportal.com, but I am not satisfied with provided information and I would like to learn more about electives

2>My fellow countryman who cleared all the steps successfully with good scores,above 240 both steps said that elective is like an essential item to add to your experience i.e according to him one's(IMG) odds increases greatly if one does the elective during his/her med school days!

3>Can an elective be of one month?

4>Is step1 score absolutely essential for an elective?

I know some of my questions might seem vague at the moment but that is the case since I dont have complete knowledge of this elective, some help will really be appreciated.

· Registered
305 Posts
I haven't given any of the Steps as of yet and came to know about electives from a fellow countryman. He said that a step1 score is must for an elective and since my country(INDIA) will not credit such internships from the US so basically I will be considered as absent during those elective days.

My major questions are:

1>I came to learn a little more about electives from the website fmportal.com, but I am not satisfied with provided information and I would like to learn more about electives

2>My fellow countryman who cleared all the steps successfully with good scores,above 240 both steps said that elective is like an essential item to add to your experience i.e according to him one's(IMG) odds increases greatly if one does the elective during his/her med school days!

3>Can an elective be of one month?

4>Is step1 score absolutely essential for an elective?

I know some of my questions might seem vague at the moment but that is the case since I dont have complete knowledge of this elective, some help will really be appreciated.
yes electives are very important to earn some extra credits and it is better to do it before you graduate. otherwise you have other options like observership or externship which do not have much value. electives are generally of a 4wk period...u can extend it to a max of 12weeks i think.
as for step 1 requirement...no...not all colleges demand a step 1 score but some do ask for a toefl...but the options are very much limited
u can refer this site for other simple details http://electives.us/step1.html
hope this helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.