USMLE Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyday I get more information from this lovely UF. But the big problem is that I did not determined a specific residency...some ideas of Internal medicine, Radiology or Surgery.

I am planning to get elective next summer...I am trying to take a period of 4 months.
Is it better to do 2 months of internal medicine & another 2 months in surgery (or Radiology)?
Or to forget about Surgery (or Radiology) because 2 months are not enough & need long time of researches , and just take 4 months in Internal medicine only?

Info to know the whole situation:

1) All of these elective would be in top ranked universities ( I got some positive replies from doctors there but no confirmation till now)
2) I hold U.S citizenship
3) I am very good at University (expecting to ace USMLE:eek:)
4) Planning for match of September 2013 ( 2014 Match) ( would be 1 year since graduation)

So Sorry bcz of long thread

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Focus on Internal Medicine my friend

Here's the story of my friend.

IMG, graduate of 2006. Done 6 months radiology research @ Harvard. Has his own publications. Did 12 months observerships/research @ Cleveland clinic. Got 98 and 99 and Passed CS all first attempt. Has green card.

Last year applied to Radiology only. By end of October did not get any interview. So he then applied to IM as he realized there's no hope in radiology. He got prematch in Las Vegas IM program.

The moral of the story;; forget about radiology and surgery and focus on internal medicine and do whatever elective you can do "only in internal medicine"

I don't want to disappoint you but that's my honest opinion

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Agree with sosomark

I agree with SoSoMark above,
It's better if you make your mind right now and decide on which specailty you want to work so that you put 4 months electives on that.
Definitely Internal Medicine is easier than surgery or radiology.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all,
New problem emerged! I will lose my chances in New York if I do 4 months (since New York do not allow for more than 3 months outside my school country)

So how to deal with that? Can I apply for New York saying that I did 3 months & apply for other States saying 4 months ?
Or ERAS allows only one copy of my experience to all States?
( in other words, is there a trick to get Residency in NY in spite of doing > 12 weeks electives?).

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
It depends

Thanks all,
New problem emerged! I will lose my chances in New York if I do 4 months (since New York do not allow for more than 3 months outside my school country)

So how to deal with that? Can I apply for New York saying that I did 3 months & apply for other States saying 4 months ?
Or ERAS allows only one copy of my experience to all States?
( in other words, is there a trick to get Residency in NY in spite of doing > 12 weeks electives?).
Are your electives considered part of your curriculum? If they are not then they won't affect your eligibility. Please read here http://www.usmle-forums.com/externs...t-new-york-state-imgs-applying-residency.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ortho. Anaesth.

Wat abt orthopedics or anaesthesiology? I mean residencies in either? Would an elective in either be just a waste of time and money? In other words should i forget abt residency in such specialities?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Orthopedics is extremely difficult...even more difficult than General Surgery!
Anaesthesia=Radiology= difficult too.

My 2 cents, if you are interested in these...why not :)..but have a backup plan first.When I see IMGs' percentages for who matched in General Surgery & Orthopedics are too low...I believe that it is possible even it is 1% :eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts

Thank you for replay..but the question is still now..may be as IMGs don't think abt such residencies so they don't do elective in them..so if i did elective in ortho or anaesth would it be useful?or i better forget and focus on specialities that are most available for IMGs?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was my opinion, may be it is not true.

The best answer you can get is to ask IMGs who matched recently in these specialities. Unfortuntely, I don't know anybody.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts