USMLE Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i do not understand why we can have mediastinal mass here? is it thymus involvment?
should not hodgkin involve lymph nodes? then why mediastinal mass?
ps.it was in one of uw q
thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
ant mediastinal nodes

In Hodgkin's lymphadenopathy is above the diaphragm (stages I and II).

usually involves supraclavicular nodes and anterior mediastinal nodes
{ i think that is Y it is reffered to as Mediastinal mass} :)

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Thymus in Lymphoma

Lymphoma is a disease of lymph organs.
The thymus and lymph nodes are lymph organs.

Mediastinal widening can result from enlargement of both of these.

However, if the question is talking about the anterior mediastinum then it must be the thymus not lymph nodes.

There's a new classification of lymphoma and one of them is not called Mediastinal Lymphoma and it represents 5% of cases and it affects the thymus to read more about go here http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/203681-overview

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lymphoma is a disease of lymph organs.
The thymus and lymph nodes are lymph organs.

Mediastinal widening can result from enlargement of both of these.

However, if the question is talking about the anterior mediastinum then it must be the thymus not lymph nodes.

There's a new classification of lymphoma and one of them is not called Mediastinal Lymphoma and it represents 5% of cases and it affects the thymus to read more about go here http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/203681-overview
my confusion was because i was just thinking of lymph nodes as only source of lymphoma:eek: .even if i was not thinking of thymus i should have thought of mediastinal lymph nodes!
anyhow,now after checking the link,i have new q! how come we can have lymphoma of B cells in thymus?? should not all thymus lymphomas be of T cell?
?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
my confusion was because i was just thinking of lymph nodes as only source of lymphoma:eek: .even if i was not thinking of thymus i should have thought of mediastinal lymph nodes!
anyhow,now after checking the link,i have new q! how come we can have lymphoma of B cells in thymus?? should not all thymus lymphomas be of T cell?
?
Previously they were thinking that only T cells live in the Thymus but they recently found that B cells do stay in the thymus as well.

Here's an abstract:
The numbers of thymic B cells increase with age, correlating with increases in lymphocyte-rich regions of thymic perivascular space that are prominent between ages 10 and 50 years. B cells within both thymic epithelial and perivascular compartments contain mutated immunoglobulin VH sequences characteristic of post-germinal center B cells, suggesting that the B cells that most often give rise to thymic B-cell lymphomas may originate from either the thymic medulla or perivascular space.
Reference:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11567221

1 - 5 of 5 Posts