USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I posted a couple of days ago (http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-1-forum/3724-starting-study-step-1-question.html#post13979) asking which books to get to start preparing for step 1.
I'm still doing some research on it and I'm not quite sure if I should just get the books or do the Kaplan lectures. Problem is, that I peeked into the books but I have no idea how the Kaplan lectures are organized: in a review system?, more text?, graphics?
I probably wouldn't do the Kaplan videos, so I would appreciate if somebody could describe a little better how those books are structured. Thanks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quality

Also, and I forgot to ask. It seems that some reviews say the paper quality is bad, books falling apart. Any comments about that?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Here's what you have in Kaplan Lecture Notes

Kaplan Lecture Notes for USMLE Step 1 are arranged into 7 books:

1. Anatomy/Histology/Embryology/Neuroanatomy
  2. Physiology
  3. Biochemistry/Molecular Biology/Genetics
  4. Pathology
  5. Microbiology/Immunology
  6. Pharmacology
  7. Behavioral Sciences/Biostatistics/Ethics
The books include comprehensive high information arranged into texts, graphs, illustrations, and tables.

Each chapter is followed by practice questions. The information is very high yield and they don't mention unneeded information.

It's very good to build your foundation of USMLE prep on these books and the pages are structured so that you can add your notes on the sides if you want.

Viewing the related videos is not mandatory. But doing more questions is crucial such as using Kaplan Qbook or any other Step 1 Questions Books and also online qbanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hello,
I posted a couple of days ago (http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-1-forum/3724-starting-study-step-1-question.html#post13979) asking which books to get to start preparing for step 1.
I'm still doing some research on it and I'm not quite sure if I should just get the books or do the Kaplan lectures. Problem is, that I peeked into the books but I have no idea how the Kaplan lectures are organized: in a review system?, more text?, graphics?
I probably wouldn't do the Kaplan videos, so I would appreciate if somebody could describe a little better how those books are structured. Thanks!
kaplan lectures are very good if you want concentrated info. they contain summary at the end of each chapter. they certainly don't have more text than the book on same subject, graphics are also are not of level of books neither the pictures quality.
but yes they will be more easier to understand and lot of tips to remember info faster.
you can certainly get a peek into it. they are floating all over the net.
hope it help
pm me for anything else :happy:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts