USMLE Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys,

i was wondering if some of you have tried to prepare step 1 with courses, the ones they make advertisement for.
i am asking because with these courses they say that step 1 is doneble in 12 weeks meanwhile the experiences i hear here are talking about a minimum of 5-6 months.

would be happy to hear some experiences and opinions

thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi there,

My name is Dr. Paul, I'm the director of the USMLE Success Academy.

I just wanted to share why you see 12 weeks as a popular time-frame for Step 1 preparation. The reason for this is because a lot of students believe that you need months and months of preparation, but this isn't true for the majority of students. Taking 5-6 months (or more) to prepare is often the result of not having a specific plan-of-action, but instead drifting through one's preparation without specific goals put in place.

For example, you may see many students say they will move through kaplan, FA, UW, in order to prepare, but without setting very specific goals such as:

Week 1: Completing kaplan microbiology lecture + finishing UW micro q's + going through micro in FA
Week 2: completing kaplan biochem lecture + finishing UW biochem q's + going through biochem in FA

You see, when you set specific goals like the ones above, you can get through everything in a much shorter period of time; not in exchange for quality mind you, it is just that step 1 programs such as ours help students maximize their efficiency so that you get through your preparation using the right tools to get you the best results in a reasonable time frame - and that's why you see 12 week timeframes often used.

In addition to that, it isn't advisable to study for 6+ months for a single test, because how well are you going to remember something today that you studied 6 or more months ago? The truth is that you won't remember things you studied so far back very well, and this puts students into a futile cycle of studying and re-studying the same material over and over, and often leads to poor scores and a sense of not really knowing the material well.

So that's why you see very typical 4, 8, or 12 week timeframes for step 1 preparation programs, simply because we know how to get it done right and we know that longer study times do not in any way correlate with higher scores.

Hope that clears it up for you!

All the best in your preparation.

Dr. Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dr paul thanks for answering.

i am wondering what is the difference between kaplan books (phisology, pharmacology etc ...) and the videos ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Dr paul thanks for answering.

i am wondering what is the difference between kaplan books (phisology, pharmacology etc ...) and the videos ?
Well, it's been many years since I used Kaplan (while in Med School), but if I remember correctly, the books accompany all of the lectures (whether live or online). Kaplan is voluminous, so you need both in order to get the most out of their program.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts