USMLE Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am 6 months from Graduating as an IMG from my college. I plan to appear for step 1 before I graduate, that is before March 2016. However since I am prep'ng with the Rotational Internship Training program, I am finding it difficult to achieve daily goals.
My question to the community is that in actuality How significant is the "Years from Graduation" clause in USMLE.
I mean if I appear after I have graduated Vs before I graduate how big a difference does it cast upon my chances of finding a suitable speciality. Is it better to appear before graduating with less preparation than appearing after graduation with better preparation?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hi

give it as soon as you can but with best prep. you score plays a greater role than the gap from graduation.. thats what i think

·
Registered
61 Posts
honest reply

get around 230 or above and graduation date minimum 5 year you are in better game .. score also matters but most programes take it <5 years ..
thats what my medadvisor said as per his experience dont listen to other speak to medadvisors..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,
I am 6 months from Graduating as an IMG from my college. I plan to appear for step 1 before I graduate, that is before March 2016. However since I am prep'ng with the Rotational Internship Training program, I am finding it difficult to achieve daily goals.
My question to the community is that in actuality How significant is the "Years from Graduation" clause in USMLE.
I mean if I appear after I have graduated Vs before I graduate how big a difference does it cast upon my chances of finding a suitable speciality. Is it better to appear before graduating with less preparation than appearing after graduation with better preparation?
Thanks in advance.
Within 2 years after graduation is good .. Take ur time while preparing don't rush up

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello

Hello guys..i'm an IMG and graduated in 2014. Taking step 1 in Jan, 2016.
My query is a bit off track..
I have given the PLAB exam and passed it. I will get a British license (GMC registration) in a couple of months.
But I really want to give a shot at USMLE and hope to get into residency by 2017. So..if I can clear all steps by 2016 end and simultaneously work in the UK and get some work experience plus some financial support for myself there, will I stand a good chance of getting into an internal medicine program?
The other alternative is to stay back at home and study till the end of next year and then apply..

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm participating in this year's match and what I can see is that YOG is very important. If you're within 3 years of graduation and have above average scores with a green card you'll get a bunch of interviews. Scores don't matter that much unless you have double 260's. 240 is more than enough if you're a fresh grad. Add in meaningful research and you'll get interviews from at least 15-20% of the places you applied to. Since I'm an old grad the number seems to be about half for me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm participating in this year's match and what I can see is that YOG is very important. If you're within 3 years of graduation and have above average scores with a green card you'll get a bunch of interviews. Scores don't matter that much unless you have double 260's. 240 is more than enough if you're a fresh grad. Add in meaningful research and you'll get interviews from at least 15-20% of the places you applied to. Since I'm an old grad the number seems to be about half for me.
i have talked to kaplan med advisor and they said 5 years rather than 3 years and he was very senior advisor ... so plz make it correction ..

·
Registered
433 Posts
i have talked to kaplan med advisor and they said 5 years rather than 3 years and he was very senior advisor ... so plz make it correction ..
Within 3 years is better than within 5 years. They're right when they say 5 years is the cut off. I'm just telling the best case scenario. Aim for within 3 years. I think it's better to ask people going through the match currently since the situation seems different this year

1 - 12 of 12 Posts