USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a US citizen and currently doing my internship (equivalent of 4th year of medical school) at an Indian medical school. I took the Step 1 and passed with flying colors, so I'm trying to look for opportunities to apply for clinical externships. I've noticed on most of the applications they ask for liability coverage (I'm assuming this means malpractice insurance.) and personal health insurance. I'm no longer covered under my parents health insurance so I have to buy my own health insurance. Does anyone have any experience buying liability coverage and health insurance or know of any reputable companies to buy this from? Also what's a background check? Is this a security check and how do you get this done? Any help and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
I too have been thinking about getting an externship, but I've read that it's very difficult for non-ECFMG-certified people like us to be accepted into an externship program. Not sure if this true. Could somebody shed some light on this?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm not 100% sure how much coverage you need as an extern, but we had to get malpractice for our clinical studies and its not cheap. The company we dealt with only did policies of a minimum of 1 year and it was about $1000. That being said, it wasn't particularly complicated... you email them, they send you some forms, you fill it out and then send them a cheque and then you're covered.

The questions on the form were mostly along the lines of "will you be performing procedures yourself" or "will you be alone with the patient" or "who will supervise you" etc. etc. etc... Send me a pm if you want and I can send you the contact information in case you have any questions...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am planning on taking an elective at Temple University, they request as others proof of malpractice insurance even before you get accepted (sent with rest of the application form).
Unfortunately they don't provide it nor do they guide getting it, thus any help regarding malpractice insurance.

Help please :sorry::sorry::sorry:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts