USMLE Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The step exam is full of long worded questions.

What is your method of reading a question and having time to think to answer within 60 sec?

·
Registered
365 Posts
The step exam is full of long worded questions.

What is your method of reading a question and having time to think to answer within 60 sec?
I just read the question, line by line and as I'm reading things pop in my head of what it could be. By the end of question, I'm going down to look to see if my answer from my head is there. If it is, I click and move, if it isn't I go back and see if I missed any "clue" word.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me its to scan the question quickly
Age sex
VS
problem 1
and sometimes problem 2 at the end or what is asked

then glance at the answers

this I guess takes 20 to 30 sec and then

I reread some of it and rescan and then answer

its so tough at times because labs are sometimes thrown in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
1. Read the actual question (last lines) and dedicate 2 seconds to look at the answer choices. Next dedicate 1-2 seconds to picking the one you think it is based on the other options. For example, if choice A) is cat and choice B) is feline, and choice C) is dog, obviously choice A and B are so similar that chances of it being one of those is likely very low.

Next read the stem carefully but at a modest no rush pace, critically analyzing everything you see. If they give you normal VS or other normal findings, praise God and mentally eliminate that as a potential problem, reread question and you should be better off than your first glance at it.

Keep the "Onto the next one" mentality.

Finally, the only way to get better is to PRACTICE. Do not spend your time only reading review books/first aid. Remember that the test is 330+ multiple choice questions, not fill in the blanks or essay questions. If it were to be essay/fill in the blanks then YES, study Kaplan all day so that you can write out all the details if they ask "Write all you know about CHF, you have 1 page to write and 20 mins". However, the test is MCQ so practice MCQ so you can get good at them. Do 150+ per day (excluding break days) and you will get better guaranteed--it's no mystery.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i read the question and the answer bounces in my mind as i read it .
What I'm doing now is reading the first sentence, why there, then reading the last sentence and look at the choices then scan the question

seems to be working over 80% of time

But man some of the questions kill me with how long they are:rolleyes::eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts