USMLE Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just started with anatomy...completed embryology and neuro anat...but since i have started with gross anat i m wondering how much of gross anatomy is needed....do we need to knw all origin insertions or just the clincally imp lesions coz the in the kaplan notes nt much is given about the individual mucles...need help!!:notsure:

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had just started with anatomy...completed embryology and neuro anat...but since i have started with gross anat i m wondering how much of gross anatomy is needed....do we need to knw all origin insertions or just the clincally imp lesions coz the in the kaplan notes nt much is given about the individual mucles...need help!!:notsure:
Gross Anatomy is not an high yield topic apparently. Many of the past test takers have said its mostly upper and lower limbs that is asked directly and maybe a few radiological images concerning with the abdominal region. I would trust what Kaplan has given and brush it with FA and hopefully be done with it. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gross Anatomy is not an high yield topic apparently. Many of the past test takers have said its mostly upper and lower limbs that is asked directly and maybe a few radiological images concerning with the abdominal region. I would trust what Kaplan has given and brush it with FA and hopefully be done with it. :)
thank you....sorry m asking this wats FA?

·
Registered
365 Posts
You don't need to know half of what kaplan puts in the Anatomy book.

no need for insertions and such.

Best thing to do, is study the anatomy and First Aid has and use kaplan to fill that stuff in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd say know neuroanatomy WELL. A few of my friends who took the test said there were plenty of neuro stuff on their exams (CT,brainstem sections etc).
Then again, I didnt have ANY neuroanatomy, if any, on my test.

Overall, anatomy isn't as HY as say physio, patho, biochem etc etc. But you shouldn't just blow over it. They may be putting more and more emphasis on the subject. I would recommend going through the blue boxes in Moore's if you have the time!

Cheeers

·
Registered
625 Posts
Is Moore the giant anatomy book from first year? Wow - I still have nightmares about that ;) I agree with Jerry though - it varies - I've known of people who had 6 neuro+anatomy+histo questions and others who've had closer to 20-30 throughout the whole exam but from what I've heard it's all pathology mostly.

If they ask a direct question it'll be to identify a major organ or vessel in a CT but it'll usually be the tail end of a question where you have to work your way through identifying the pathology they are talking about.

That being said- like everyone says - head CTs can be fairly high yield if you're lucky (or not lucky as the case may be.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts