USMLE Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've gotten conflicting answers to this. Most people say the only thing that matters is that you pass, and that's sufficient to get you a few extra interviews. But a few people have said it's important to score in the same percentile range as your other scores, otherwise it might be seen as a red flag. What do you guys think? Is there a "minimum acceptable score", below which you might actually hurt your application? Or will passing boost your application, regardless of your score?

·
Registered
92 Posts
What specialty are you applying for and what are your scores for step 1/2? Regardless of what you have heard, I don't know why anyone not in a residency program wouldn't want the best score possible. From what I have discussed and researched, a passing score on the first attempt is ok if you are currently in your country doing a residency or working as a physician. If you are just studying for step 3 for a few months, it better be at least on par with the rest of your scores. If you haven't done that well on step 1/2 (<220), then you would want to do well to show you know the material and are capable of improving.

Keep in mind, not having a step 3 score vs. taking it with the mindset of just passing could result in actually failing the test, and having a failed step on your record is far worse than not taking step 3 at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts