USMLE Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

So now lets' start a thread discussing this issue because I found many conflicting opinions on this number.

Some people told me applying for 40 programs is enough while others said I have to apply at least 150 programs!

So what do you think guys!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Difficult to answer

This question is very difficult to answer. There are many factors that can play role in your likelihood of getting an interview and subsequently a match.
Have a look here http://www.usmle-forums.com/residency-match-recommended-threads/40-matching-filters.html

If your profile is strong then it might be few (3-5) interviews enough for you to get a match and it might be few applications (10-20) to get you these interviews.

If your profile is weak (like being an IMG, old graduate, low scores, no USCE, no publications, no connections, no US LoRs ....etc) then I'd say apply to as many programs as financially possible and even apply to other specialties like if your are looking for IM then apply for FM and even psychiatry if you can.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This question is very difficult to answer. There are many factors that can play role in your likelihood of getting an interview and subsequently a match.
Have a look here http://www.usmle-forums.com/residency-match-recommended-threads/40-matching-filters.html

If your profile is strong then it might be few (3-5) interviews enough for you to get a match and it might be few applications (10-20) to get you these interviews.

If your profile is weak (like being an IMG, old graduate, low scores, no USCE, no publications, no connections, no US LoRs ....etc) then I'd say apply to as many programs as financially possible and even apply to other specialties like if your are looking for IM then apply for FM and even psychiatry if you can.
If one applies to programs in several different specialties, are the PDs able to see this? If so, surely you would be shooting yourself in the foot as they would think you aren't clear on what you really want to do?

·
Registered
6 Posts
as i know PD are unable to see if you are applying to other programs whether in the same or in different specialities.
about the number of programs apply to as much as you can but see elegibility critiria for each program first i mean if you are an old graduate dont apply to those insisting on recent grad. and if you scored low dont apply to those asking for a cut off score above yours and so on so you have to call or take a look at the site before applying. however the game is much more complicated and many factors may influence your chances either +ve or -ve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dear Applicant,

We are posed with this question daily and the answer is not as clouded or difficult as it appears to be. The most important factor is not how many programs do you apply to but the very simple analysis is your application complete? Simple enough statement but the majority of applicants we review are incomplete applications not weak ones. We look 5 points some which you can change some which are in stone

1- Scores
2- Year of graduation
3- Visa Status
4- US clinical experience
5- Documents

An applicant must look at the min requirements a program states and see if they meet them, if an applicant has the scores year of graduation docs visa yet the program clearly states 3 months of USCE in FM with OB experience they want this specific attribute to your application, not 3 months IM. Programs are also looking for a match a person that matches what their program is designed to do, if their program is designed to graduate rural FM physicians then your profile should suit the program, hence number 5 documents, if you have read and we are sure many of you have the detailed information on program websites many state please focus your PS on rural FM or focus your PS on..... they are speaking to their applicants directly telling you what they are looking for.

Another example not being long winded, is scores, if an applicant has a failure on step 2 ck for example and has passed all their exams yet has a GC or is a citizen they do not generally think about step 3, this is an outlier an unknown the applicant can study for and pass step 3 in the first attempt and put the program to ease on their clinical fund of knowledge.

Once your application is in the best condition possible you can then pull all the programs in your specialty and look closely at their min requirements and see if you as an applicant qualify, look at their basics pull the profiles of the residents many websites have pictures (look for IMGs ), and read about the program focus your PS and your profile for the programs you want it is not about quantity of programs but programs your application matches. Rule of thumb you have studied and made excellent decisions to date , so take the same attitude and apply it to every decision and step of your application.

Good Luck!
IMGPrep Team

1 - 9 of 9 Posts