USMLE Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been silently browsing the forums for a while now and alot of students state that they're not well prepared and how they're getting just passing marks in the practice tests but are still going ahead with giving the test since they can't study anymore. So, how much does the score really effect you getting a residency, even if its at a crappy place?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
It's very important

Scores are very important for your residency placement.

Particularly Step 1 score is more important than Step 2 CK score See Why.

So even if you are looking for a simple community program you need a good score.

Of course there are other factors that affect you matching probability
I suggest you have a look at these two threads:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi, I've been silently browsing the forums for a while now and alot of students state that they're not well prepared and how they're getting just passing marks in the practice tests but are still going ahead with giving the test since they can't study anymore. So, how much does the score really effect you getting a residency, even if its at a crappy place?
who on the forums said that??? many of the forum members are preparing seriously for months i think :sorry:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Step 1 Scores are Critical!

For most residences, it's not enough to simply pass Step 1, since you'll be competing with people who have great scores. For example, the ROAD specialities and surgical sub-specialities are ultra competitive, and few, if any, match people with just passing scores. For some residences, such as Family Practice, a passing score may be okay because they are less competitive. So if you're okay with scrambling to get into a non-competitive residency in a crappy place, just passing the boards may be okay. :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts