USMLE Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I am an IMG graduated from medical school 20 years ago. Although I have been in America for 10 years, it is until now that I am thinking to take the USMLE. My question is how old is not old for the test and the following match? Also I rememberd that I just got a "passed" score in one of my school classes. Does that affect the residency match?

Thanks in advance

Yours

Liquorice

G

·
This is a very difficult question to answer. but I can assure you that your medical school performance has nothing to do with the match.

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
As far as the USMLE test itself then of course there is no age limit and you can do it and it's never too late.

While speaking of the match then generally there are four categories of age limits that program directors think of when they select candidates for interviews:

• Less than three years since graduation --> Fresh graduate just like the US seniors and fresh IMG grads
  • Three to five years since graduation --> Second category still can be easily matched
  • Five to ten years since graduation --> Old grad and difficult to match
  • Over ten year since graduation ---> Very old veteran and the most difficult to be matched.

Since you fall in the last category then you are not in good shape.

However, that does not mean that your match is impossible. There are many programs out there that do not care about the applicant's age.

The points that can be in your side are:

• Get very high scores in the exams (above 95)
  • Do externships and observerships
  • Do research if you can
  • Use your network to find people to push you in the list
  • American citizenship

·
Registered
74 Posts
As far as the USMLE test itself then of course there is no age limit and you can do it and it's never too late.

While speaking of the match then generally there are four categories of age limits that program directors think of when they select candidates for interviews:

• Less than three years since graduation --> Fresh graduate just like the US seniors and fresh IMG grads
  • Three to five years since graduation --> Second category still can be easily matched
  • Five to ten years since graduation --> Old grad and difficult to match
  • Over ten year since graduation ---> Very old veteran and the most difficult to be matched.

Since you fall in the last category then you are not in good shape.

However, that does not mean that your match is impossible. There are many programs out there that do not care about the applicant's age.

The points that can be in your side are:

• Get very high scores in the exams (above 95)
  • Do externships and observerships
  • Do research if you can
  • Use your network to find people to push you in the list
  • American citizenship
How about a masters degree for someone in the Old graduate category?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
How about a masters degree for someone in the Old graduate category?
The issue is that they filter applicants by Year of Graduation even before they look at the CV and ERAS profile.
So if a program filters out old grads, they'll filter you before they see your MPH.
If it happens that they come across your profile (like if they don't have an age filter or if you have connections in the program) then definitely your MPH will play a great role.

-

·
Registered
74 Posts
The issue is that they filter applicants by Year of Graduation even before they look at the CV and ERAS profile.
So if a program filters out old grads, they'll filter you before they see your MPH.
If it happens that they come across your profile (like if they don't have an age filter or if you have connections in the program) then definitely your MPH will play a great role.

-
Say I get an MPH degree with a university that also has a residency I am interested in. That will make me have connections in the university, right?

Sorry, I'm just really clueless with this :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.