USMLE Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
hey guys how many months prior should one apply for step 1 to get the dates of his choice
You choose when to take your exam by a block. Each block is 3 months (Known as eligibility period).

I would say as long as you sign up when your block starts, you should be good. Unless its the peak season- may through august. then maybe sign up for the exam a couple months early to get the date you want.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You chose when to take your exam by a block. Each block is 3 months.

I would say as long as you sign up when your block starts, you should be good. Unless its the peak season- may through august. then maybe sign up for the exam a couple months early to get the date you want.
thanx peewe so much means for date in october one should apply in august around

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well it really depends on where you're writing your exam I think... In North America - as long as you have your block chosen and your 186 in order you can probably wait till as close as a month before to pick your exact date and location. Many people drop out about 2 weeks before so if you are in a major urban region you can usually find the date and time you want. It is a stressful process leaving it to this late, though, so I recommend 2-3 months in advance. That way you should be able to pick the exact date, time and location even if you're not in a major urban area.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it really depends on where you're writing your exam I think... In North America - as long as you have your block chosen and your 186 in order you can probably wait till as close as a month before to pick your exact date and location. Many people drop out about 2 weeks before so if you are in a major urban region you can usually find the date and time you want. It is a stressful process leaving it to this late, though, so I recommend 2-3 months in advance. That way you should be able to pick the exact date, time and location even if you're not in a major urban area.
thanx a lot mate
I m in india i think i should strt the process early

1 - 7 of 7 Posts