USMLE Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The angry patient is often encountered with applicants in the CS exam, follow these steps to take the control back and ensure earning the case points:

1- Stay calm, don't frown or show that you are scared.

2- If the patient was crying, offer him tissues.

3- Ask: Why do you feel angry Mr. Anderson?

4- Let the patient express his feelings/opinion, during which do head nodding to make the patient know that you are a good listener.
a- If the patient said that he is angry from somebody's behavior (nurse..) say: We are sorry for that, I will make sure that this will not happen again.

b- If he said that you were late, say: I am sorry, I had to see a patient in the emergency room. I am now here to solve your problem and I want to help you feel better, is that OK?
NB: Usually the patient will return into control because he knows the game and he knows that you have limited time in each case.

Good luck

·
Registered
67 Posts
csevideo.com

we show you how to do everything right out of the book including handwashing, angry patients, communication, etc....
WE COACH IN ICE/CIS/SEP, WE HAVE OVER 50 PATIENT NOTES and 48 brand new videos with a sale going on right now

"the movie is way better than the book"

csevideo.com

·
Registered
37 Posts
talking to angry patient

Real exam scenario :p patient angry and not ready to talk
he might shout and ask you to leave. Stay calm and composed. Apologize immediately after asking the reasons for anger

-the right words- Mr Green you seem upset with something, may I know the reasons for the same so that I can address to your issue in better way -then he will open up and tell you the reason- say you apologize profoundly for the thing that caused this and you will do absolutely everything in order to make sure that the thing is not repeated in future.
If still he refuses to talk and demands a different doctor tell him that you will be leaving just as he wants but would like to know why he feels that a different doctor can help him in a better way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts