USMLE Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself really hurrying through the last 10 questions of the UsmleWorld tests [44 questions in one hour].

Any ideas on how to read faster/ filter out the unwanted information in the questions?

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
yeah i am having the similar problem as well...
the thing about long question is that you tend to neglect the important stuff or clue...i guess its all about practising more questions and spotting the right clues....nd getting the answers right..

·
Registered
472 Posts
yeah i am having the similar problem as well...
the thing about long question is that you tend to neglect the important stuff or clue...i guess its all about practising more questions and spotting the right clues....nd getting the answers right..
I was thinking if looking at the last line (what they want) first would help us focus on what we need instead of reading the whole question. Maybe this will help save some time. What do you think?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was thinking if looking at the last line (what they want) first would help us focus on what we need instead of reading the whole question. Maybe this will help save some time. What do you think?
it may work sometime but it DOESNOT work with the same efficiency as step 1...
that can mislead you many times because the case might be a case of exception with clues in the middle of the question..
so i think its better to read the whole question ..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is a great idea.
I tried it out on a few tests... for really long questions - it does help to filter out some stuff in SOME questions.
If it is a specific thing - then it helps... for eg : one question (about a page long) gave a huge history of a patient with pruritis and jaundice with a HUGE list of lab test... and finally said --- you are suspecting primary biliary cirhossis .. what is the picture you expect on liver biopsy?

But when they ask ' whats the most probable diagnosis' it really does not help!

So what i do is - i read the last paragraph / last 2 lines and then read the whole question......

i guess it helps a bit !

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts