USMLE Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just was thinking how to spread out the break time during the 7 blocks on the exam day?

Any ideas will be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
This is my version

Block 1: No break
Block 2: 5 minute break
Block 3: 5 minute break
Block 4: 25 minute lunch break
Block 5: 10 minute break
Block 6: 15 minute break
Block 7: Go home :D

The reason why I put more breaks between the afternoon blocks is that we usually get tired and little longer breaks are extremely important to avoid exhaustion and collapse

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you indrag and yoramfishke for the help, but why both of you did not put any break after the first block?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Thank you indrag and yoramfishke for the help, but why both of you did not put any break after the first block?
This is because you are still fresh and have the power to take 2 blocks in a stretch.
Also remember that many students report that the first block is the most difficult one so if you take a break after it and you reflect on it this may kill your motivation and have an adverse effect on your entire exam day, therefore walking over it straight to the second block (more likely you'll answer it better) will boost your confidence and set you up for the rest of the exam.
Also remember that when you do your qbanks do at least two blocks consecutively so that you get ready for the real first two blocks :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is because you are still fresh and have the power to take 2 blocks in a stretch.
Also remember that many students report that the first block is the most difficult one so if you take a break after it and you reflect on it this may kill your motivation and have an adverse effect on your entire exam day, therefore walking over it straight to the second block (more likely you'll answer it better) will boost your confidence and set you up for the rest of the exam.
Also remember that when you do your qbanks do at least two blocks consecutively so that you get ready for the real first two blocks :)
Research has shown that the human mind can only concentrate at peak performance for 50 to 60 minutes. Taking 2 blocks at a time (2 hours) is not doing justice to what you can potentially achieve score wise on the test.http://www.instituteforboardprep.com

·
Registered
55 Posts
i asked the same question to my friend and some seniors who took step1, all of them unanimously advised to do first three blocks without a break, then take a break for 15-20min. then two block continuously then a break for 30-40min. then finish the last two blocks. i will try it out using uworld two weeks before the exam.
every person's attention span differs, but we can manage three straight blocks when we are fresh. u better try out for once with your uworld and decide on what way is practical for u.
my suggestion is same as my seniors',

block-1
block-2
block-3

break

block-4
block-5

break

block-6
block-7

done.

good luck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Block 1: 5 minutes (to realize that i am indeed fighting the monster!)
Block 2: 5 minutes
Block 3: 10 minutes
Block 4: 5 minutes
Block 5: 15 minutes
Block 6: 10 minutes
Block 7: Yoohoo!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts