USMLE Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Koyi, SOBE, and so many others have posted about the benefits of usmlerx in learning first aid. I am planning on doing usmlerx next month....i am pretty familiar with first aid even though I still have a while to go before literally knowing every line in there(which i doubt can happen). Anyways, when doing usmlerx, when you get an easy question you get right, should you read the entire explanation, as well as all the first aid copy/paste sections they provide at the bottom? Or should you only read the explanations without necessarily reading the entire first aid copy/paste section? Or should you only do this for the questions that you aren't sure about...

Please let me know how the rest of you guys utilized usmlerx...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here is some contrary advice. I'm sure you've heard read every explanation, including the incorrect choices.

However, the PASS program said something different: just read the correct answer choice, understand why it is correct and move on. Do not read the incorrect answer choices. You do not want to overwhelm your brain. You just want to make the connection between the question and the correct answer choice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It depends on how much do you have until your exam.

In my experience I started usmlerx qmax a month before my exam, in the first two weeks I was doing a block a day timed and random after finishing with it I reviewed the block and read all explanations in qmax and at the same time reviewed related topics in FA. For example If I had a question about the drug for TB prophylaxis I read the qbank explanations and FA about all TB drugs not just isoniazid , and maybe something about TB in the microbiology chapter.
I did a check box with all FA pages and I was checking every page I was reading to make sure I didn't read two times the same topic. In that way I ended up doing like 900 questions and read 1 time FA, it was a very good way to read FA without getting tired and practice questions.

The last two weeks I had like 1800 q's left and I decided to finish with all q's so I started doing 4 blocks a day in tutor mode and I only read the explanations of the incorrect ones and the ones I had correct but I wasn't sure about the answer. And read 40 pages a day of FA, in that way I ended up doing all Q's and 1 time FA. By doing 4 blocks a day it helped me a lot to build stamina for my test.

So, I guess it depends of your time.

By the way I took my exam 3 days ago and found usmlerx very useful, but for sure uworld is a must for your preparation.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks man. Very helpful. Now tell me this. I've already completed Uworld and its explanations 1 and a half times...If I was to finish my prep by doing usmlerx in the last month or two(without doing uworld then). Is that a bad idea?

It depends on how much do you have until your exam.

In my experience I started usmlerx qmax a month before my exam, in the first two weeks I was doing a block a day timed and random after finishing with it I reviewed the block and read all explanations in qmax and at the same time reviewed related topics in FA. For example If I had a question about the drug for TB prophylaxis I read the qbank explanations and FA about all TB drugs not just isoniazid , and maybe something about TB in the microbiology chapter.
I did a check box with all FA pages and I was checking every page I was reading to make sure I didn't read two times the same topic. In that way I ended up doing like 900 questions and read 1 time FA, it was a very good way to read FA without getting tired and practice questions.

The last two weeks I had like 1800 q's left and I decided to finish with all q's so I started doing 4 blocks a day in tutor mode and I only read the explanations of the incorrect ones and the ones I had correct but I wasn't sure about the answer. And read 40 pages a day of FA, in that way I ended up doing all Q's and 1 time FA. By doing 4 blocks a day it helped me a lot to build stamina for my test.

So, I guess it depends of your time.

By the way I took my exam 3 days ago and found usmlerx very useful, but for sure uworld is a must for your preparation.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I can't tell you for sure because I haven't get my step 1 score yet so I am not sure if my strategy worked well. And I don't know what score are you working for.

Having said that, I can tell you that it also depends on your usmlerx average and performance if you are getting a good percentage of correct answers and you already did uworld I think it is fine.

I will recomend you to take an NBME online if you haven't done one yet and make sure you are in the right path for your goal.

If usmlerx predicted usmle step 1 is a good predictor?
I am not sure, and I have read a lot of post that overpredicts a LOT, so focus in the percentage and do not trust 100% on the 3 digit score they give you.

I did usmleworld two times before doing usmlerx.

Let me know by PM how well are you doing in your % and your scores in the previous self a.

·
Registered
74 Posts
50% off Till You Pass 12 month Step 1 QMax Question Bank

USMLE Rx
50% off Till You Pass 12 month Step 1 QMax Question Bank
Happy-2

Promo Code: GSOMQMAX1
Expires 7/21/15, next Tuesday

Full Price = $299
Now= ONLY $179

As long as this code is active it can be used by anyone, anywhere. So send it to friends, classmates- this is the first deal of the year and the BEST deal.Happy-2

·
Registered
125 Posts
discount codes!

These discount codes are good until 11/20/2015

12 month Step 1 Qmax for $149: UTH3QMAX1

12 month Step 1 Triple Play Bundle for $239: UTH3TRIP

12 month Step 3 Qmax for $129: UTH3QMAX3

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone!
THIS WEEK ONLY- 45% off Step 1 triple play. That's videos, questions and flash cards!

Step 1 triple play, 12 months $239: GEFFSPQTRIP112

These codes are active until 09/25/16, no exceptions. As long as this code is active it can be used by anyone, anywhere. If you don't want to activate it now, you can delay activation for up to 6 months. Feel free to share it with your friends who are studying for step as well.

Steps to apply the discount:

1.) Go to the USMLE Rx website
2.) Click on Option you like for Step 1 or Step 2 and then click on the "Subscribe now" button, which takes you to your Shopping cart. !
3.) On the Shopping Cart page, Click on the "Checkout" button
4.) On the Checkout page, enter code exactly as shown in the "Enter discount codes" section and "Click to calculate discounts". The price should be dropped down 50%!!
5.) Your discount should be applied and you may finish the check out process

1 - 9 of 9 Posts