USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I noticed that there are many expert seniors around here in this forum. I am hoping to get a clear answer to my question.
Is it true that IMGs will not be able to get into sub specialty fellowships if they don't join a University program residency program?
If that's the case then the situation is extremely hopeless as most of the IMGs end up in community programs!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
The path to post residency sub-specialty fellowships

Fellowships are usually and in many cases are all about connections.

Once your are a resident you will start to make connections. Your program director and supervisors certainly have several connections with other states and programs and they usually help you draw a path for your post residency life.

So when you are doing residency in Harvard certainly your connections and affiliations will be at a higher level than when you have quietly finished a small community program residency. Your "Harvard" program director will for sure be having connections with other high profile fellowship PDs in addition to the numerous fellowship opportunities at "Harvard" itself.

I'd say these are the statements that you should believe in:

1. High profile university residents "can" get competitive fellowships 100% of the time.
  2. Lower profile university residents "can" get less competitive fellowships 80% of the time.
  3. High profile community residents "can" get less competitive fellowships 60% of the time.
  4. Lowe profile community residents "can" get less competitive fellowships 20% of the time.

Of course these numbers are just (out of my personal experience) and I have no documentary proof whatsoever. Also note that I said "can" and did not say "will" because even if you are in the best university program you may still don't go into fellowship if you don't come out with excellent connections and LORs.

Another important point; even for the fourth category I mentioned above, fellowship is not an absolute impossibility. You can still improve your chances by doing research and volunteering in the sub-specialty after your residency and ultimately you may be able to get that dream cardiology, gastroenterology, ...etc.

America is the land of opportunities but it needs someone who reaches out for them!

·
Banned
751 Posts
Steptaker do u mean that u can only get cardiology or gasteroenterology if you are a resident in a top-tier program like harvard, yale etc?
In that case it is impossible :(

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Steptaker do u mean that u can only get cardiology or gasteroenterology if you are a resident in a top-tier program like harvard, yale etc?
In that case it is impossible :(
Note that I mentioned percentages, I did not say zero percent to any of the category.
There's nothing impossible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts