USMLE Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm IMG, with GC (eligible to be citizen) and did not match this year. I appreciate your advise how I can boost my CV for this September...

Here is my credentials:
YOG 2010
do not needs visa

Step 1 223
Step 2CK 234
Step 2CS Pass all first attempt

USCE: Shadowed a cardiologist for few month at pretty well known teaching hospital in CA, no hands-on

MS degree in applied epidemiology and Biostatistics from USC

Publication: 8 AHA conference papers (all 1st author), 3-4 peer review journal papers (one in JACC!)

LORs 1 from said hospital; 1 from epidemiologist; 2 from cardiology fellow

Applied to 250 IM categorical program, 40 Neurology; only got 2 interviews

How should I try again?
I'm thinking about one company USCE (and few more MD LORs) + Step 3.

I really appreciate your help and advise

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

I'm IMG, with GC (eligible to be citizen) and did not match this year. I appreciate your advise how I can boost my CV for this September...

Here is my credentials:
YOG 2010
do not needs visa

Step 1 223
Step 2CK 234
Step 2CS Pass all first attempt

USCE: Shadowed a cardiologist for few month at pretty well known teaching hospital in CA, no hands-on

MS degree in applied epidemiology and Biostatistics from USC

Publication: 8 AHA conference papers (all 1st author), 3-4 peer review journal papers (one in JACC!)

LORs 1 from said hospital; 1 from epidemiologist; 2 from cardiology fellow

Applied to 250 IM categorical program, 40 Neurology; only got 2 interviews

How should I try again?
I'm thinking about one company USCE (and few more MD LORs) + Step 3.

I really appreciate your help and advise
scores are good. yog ( little only) red flag in 2016 but no prob at all. it surprises why only 2 Intrvs with 250 applied, GC holder :confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your grades are solid, especially for a GC holder. The way I look at it the problem has to be either your YOG , lack of real USCE or some kind of red flags in your CV. Firstly, You cant change your YOG but you can work on a few other. You should have someone check out your CV make sure they aren't issues with your Personal statement or your LORs. Secondly, I would work on getting some more experience, externships would obviously be ideal but whatever you can do. I know people who volunteered in a free clinic (involved in patient management) that I volunteered at during med school and it really helped them and they matched at their second attempt. Lastly, If possible take step 3 and do really well on it. I would apply again with your stats. I've heard of people with horrible stats who should have given up who have matched. You are in a better position than many. The whole thing isn't entirely fair. But dont give up yet.....

And of course work on your interview skills. . You don't want to seem rehearsed but at the same time you don't want to be caught off guard. It's like acting, if you practice it so much it won't seem rehearsed anymore...you may even start to believe it your self.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts