USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a med student from mumbai just finished my 2nd yr MBBS and awaiting results.

I am planning to give USMLE, but m too confused when to start with it n which step to give first? I wish to do my residency in IM in first place and my second choice would be surgery (since I've heard that Indians do not get surgery in residency, is that true?).

Is research work for USMLE a must? I missed the icmr research opportunity this year n wont be getting it anymore. Is that a point to worry about or is there some alternative to it?

I do have a rough idea about all the steps of usmle, books to be referred for it, but really didn't understand about electives. would appreciate any reliable opinion and help for the same.

please do reply asap...

thank you.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Spend sometime in our forums

Welcome to USMLE Forums,

You need to spend some time reading through the reliable advices and recommendations that we have in this website. Note that when we find unreliable and misleading posts in the forums we usually rectify them and therefore whatever you find in this website is truly informative.

Now let me refer you to some links that will help you find answers to your questions:

http://www.usmle-forums.com/general-topics-recommended-threads/1223-imgs-step-take-first.html
Threads tagged with research
Threads tagged with Electives
Threads tagged with Surgery Match

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks a lot. that was really helpful.
but a few specific questions in my mind:
1. does med school scores have any weightage anywhere in the process of usmle?

2. is there a specific time to applying for electives, failing which there might be problems?

3. currently i m in my 3rd yr of med school.m having the adequate material for step 1 n step 2 ck.my workout for usmle is that i m reading the step 2 ck stuff along with my med school portion which happens to be the same.once m done with my final yr exams in dec 2012,along with completing reading the stuff of step 2 ck that i have,i would like to give ck first within a month or two.then go for electives n give cs with it n then go step 1 at time around that i get my step 1(n ck cs) result by september................................................so tell me if this is a good workout or i need any changes to be made in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts