USMLE Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am an international medical student and want to take USMLE exams and apply for a residency program. First I would like to explain my current situation to you. I will graduate from my med school by the end of January 2011. I haven't taken any steps as yet and hope to devote my time for its prep only after I graduate. Now, I understand that a minimum study period of 9 months is required for step 1 and 2 together and keeping this in view I won't be able to apply for a match in 2012 making me a candidate for the year 2013. The problem is that I am left with two years in between and I was hoping if I could get some advice from you guys as to how should I use this time most effectively, how should I prepare, how should I plan this thing? please help me out!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Those are lots of questions in one go.

First, decide on what you want. If March 2013 match is your main aim and you don't want any distractions, then decide that you will study for only USMLE. If not, if you want to earn money or get some clinical/research experience in the meanwhile, then think about getting a job and studying in the spare time.

Let us know which option you want to go for and you can get some more replies here pertaining your issue. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:)
I am grateful for your reply. The thing is I will get done with my exams by the end of Jan 2011 but my results won't be announced before March 2011. My med school study hours are such that I could not prepare for USMLE simultaneously but I plan to take CS in Feb-March 2011 and then start my prep asap. I did a clinical elective in Plastic Surgery at Yale this year. I want to devote my time to USMLE prep without any distractions. Once I get done with it then I'll have more than a year to spare for additional clinical experience.
Please let me know if this approach is correct and how should I go about things in this situation? :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
:)

I am grateful for your reply.The thing is I will get done with my exams by the end of Jan 2011 but my results won't be announced before March 2011.My med school study hours are such that I could not prepare for USMLE simultaneously but I plan to take CS in Feb-March 2011 and then start my prep asap.I did a clinical elective in Plastic Surgery at Yale this year.I want to devote my time to USMLE prep without any distractions.Once I get done with it then I'll have more than a year to spare for additional clinical experience.Please let me know if this approach is correct and how should I go about things in this situation?:)
Yes your plan sounds good, now all you need to do is get working on a concrete plan, get the right material for it and apply it in practice. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes your plan sounds good, now all you need to do is get working on a concrete plan, get the right material for it and apply it in practice. :)
Thanks I appreciate it!:)

Does applying for year 2013 match make me an old FMG and reduces my chances of a match?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts